HybridZ

WC-T5 and R-200 ratios

dsommer

Ok I'm driving a rev beast here... I've got a WC T-5 with a R200 rear w/3.90 gears. The car is super quick but it seems a bit unusable. I'd like to get a higher geared rear end.

Questions are:

If you are running a T-5 what rear end gears do you have?

What is the optimal rear end for the T-5 based on the gear ratios of a WC t-5.

Did the WC T-5 come with multiple gear ratios for 1st - 5th?

Options?

Opinions?

Thanks,

ds

I have a T5 and 5.0L in my Z and an R200 differential.

The T5 has the following gear rations:

1st 3.35

2nd 1.99

3rd 1.33

4th 1.00

5th 0.68

My R200 has a 3.545 to 1 gear ratio.

First gear is not very useful on the street. I start out in second gear most of the time. I feel that a 3.36 to 1 rear gear ratio would be more comfortable to drive on the street.

Some of the Ford Motorsport T5s come with a 2.95 to 1 first gear ratio. I think this would make first gear more useful; however the ford motorsport T5 also has a 0.63 to 1 fifth gear which makes 5th gear a dog.

I'm running the T-56 which has a 2.68:1 1st gear with the 3.70:1 LSD R200. Unless I'm in a really big hurry I never use first. If you can get a T-5 with the 2.95:1 1st and the .68:1 5th I'd be looking hard at either the 3.36 or the 3.54. Do you want quiet at cruise or do you want to quarter mile the car? If you're looking for decent accelleration but more comfortable cruise I'd go with the 3.36.

All of the World CLass V8 transmissions have a 2.95 first gear. In a Camaro, the 4.10 is the best gear with a T56 and it's 2.66 first gear which gives an overall first of 10.906. Just dividing by 2.95 gives a final drive of 3.69 which pretty much is perfect for a 3.70 LSD. Just for comparison, a TH700 and a 3.54 diff gives an overall 1st gear ratio of 10.903. My Super T10 has a 2.62 first gear and its gear spread is very well suited to the 4.10s as well. Except on the highway...