HybridZ

Air filter to AFM distance ?

Afshin

Does anyone know how far or long can the tubing between the air filter and the AFM be? Can I use a long 3-3.5" tube from the AFM (keeping the AFM in it's original location) to run across the radiator and have the air filter on the right side? The reason would be to make room for the intercooler piping(shorter pipe and less bends = less lag). My initial thought is that it should not be done and that the pressure/flow across the distance would be too much and impede air flow. Is this assumption correct ? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Long intake or short, long IC pipes or short...I challenge you to detect a difference in performance. Just adding an intercooler is a massive increase in the volume of the intake - a few inches, or a foot, is going to be undetectable. And I swear to you, I had zero noticeable decrease in throttle response or "lag" when I installed my intercooler. And as far as the intake is concerned, I think you could pipe in air through 10' of 3" or 3-1/2" intake without creating a significant restriction.

So no one else has an opinion on this ? Do you agree with Nathan that practically speaking length doesn't matter (the consensus always seems to be girth as the most important)

I figured that it will be easier to have a long air filter to AFM intake that to have a long intercooler pipe which is harder to make because o f need to sustain pressure without any leaks. Don't want to blow out to early now, no debate regarding this issue, you got keep it up man (i'm refering to the boost off course) :wink:

No seriously, does anyone else have any experience with this ? If not I may just take Nathan's educated guess and go ahead with the long pre-AFM intake.

I would get rid of that rubber boot to the afm, personally.

I found replacing it with a pipe intake changed the response dramatically, making entry to boost a whole world smoother.

I would not worry about the length of intake pipe, I would try to make one with as little bends as possible.

The stock rubber boot and air filter system adds a 90 degree bend and two 45 degree bends before air hits the blades, I changed this to one sloping 30 degree 3" bend to a 45 degree bend where air filter is mounted, much nicer. Air speed is very fast here, length wont hurt flow, its the bends.