HybridZ

Turbo Upgrade

dskubitz

After reading this forum for a while, I got bitten by the bug to upgrade my 72 240z with an 83 turbo. I bought my donor car for $200, and I am just starting to go through the engine. I noticed that the turbo has excessive play and should be rebuilt at the very least. My question is this:

What would you guys recommend, rebuilding my exsisting turbo or replacing my turbo with a t3/t4 hybrid? If I do the t3/t4, what kind of mods will I be looking at? This car will be a daily driver and probably not be raced.

Guest bastaad525

I've asked this one too... most people seem to think that if you gotta rebuild that it's worth the extra $$$ to go with a better turbo. You can get T3/04 hybrids that will bolt right in like a stock replacement, with one exception that I've seen, which is that the inlet to the turbo is larger. You'll either have to adapt the rubber hose from that goes from the AFM to the turbo, to the larger diameter, or make or have a custom one made. And it may need to be reclocked, which is just re-aligning the compressor side to the turbine side, to match the alignment of the stock T3, which should be easy. The hybrid turbo will be much more efficient at moving air into your engine, and you will make more power at a given level of boost vs. the T3, but I'm not sure how this would effect the limit of how much boost you could run safely, as far as how much a stock EFI, fuel pump, injectors, etc. could support for the hybrid.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Put a TO4B upgrade on it, the hybrid will bring up air flow at a lower boost. Use a high pressure fuel pump and a FMU to bring up fuel pressure at boost only. Don't forget to replace the headgasket on your new used engine, they are prone to failure after 13psi. Good luck and let me know it you need help with any of the parts.