HybridZ

Leaky gas filler cap

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

One of the first problems I had when I got this 240, and one that refuses to go away! If I have more than a half tank of gas in the car, and make a sharp left turn, U-turn, whatever, many times gas will come spilling out of the filler. The gas cap itself is in good shape, the rubber o-ring seal looks fine, and it does close tight when I screw it down. The metal ring that it screws into, which is held on by three bolts, is smooth and clean. Originally it was all rusted but I took it off, resurfaced and painted it. The filler neck itself has no damage that I can see. Best I can figure is that it's seeping out between the metal ring, and the top of the filler neck, but I've never seen it happen so i"m not sure. 240 gas caps have gotten kinda hard to come by so I haven't tried another one to see if that's the problem, but again, it looks perfect so I doubt that's the problem.

Anyone else have this problem or know what is the cause and how to fix it? I just painted the car and now I'm afraid to take left turns :(

i don't know if yours has it, but mine does.... there's a little offshoot hose at the top of the filler neck that goes to the vapor tank inside the fenderwell that is known to rot out and make your car leak and smell like a sunoco. and my wife wonders why i want a fuel cell!

Guest bastaad525

Yeah, the little opening is there. Is that where the leaking is coming from? What should I do? Plug it? just replace the hose going to it? I've been thinking of eliminating that vapor tank thing completely anyways