HybridZ

is an 11 second Z for ~3k possible?

stjoetalon

I already have a buick 455 and a turbo 400(for now). I am looking for 11's and a good start on a track car. I have budgeted myself 3-4k to do this. Think I can get a Z, and all the necessary parts to make this happen? My only demands are a cage and fuel cell. I can do the mechanical work and body work. I am just going to black primer it unless I can find one with nice paint. I have never welded a cage, but I might give it a try.

Heres what I am trying to budget.

500-1k -engine tranny parts

500-1.5k -complete rolling chassis(depending on condition)

whatever is left- for misc items(cage/subframe conn. material, cell, slicks, guages, relocate battery, mounts, suspension, misc items)

So, do you think it is viable? Do you think a mostly stock 455(factory rated at 360/510) could drag the Z to 11 second quarters? I saw that some of you guys have thousands and thousands of dollars wrapped up in your cars. Im not looking for a show car by any means. Im perfectly fine with rollin around in primer! I know there are thousands of variables, but is this something I should consider? I dont want the car on jack stands for years because I ran out of cash.

Guest 81na ZX

If you can get a Z down to ~2300lbs, You could run an 11 flat with only 345hp.

I bought my ZX for $500. But it started out weighing 2800lbs. Earliers are lighter.

So lets budget it like this:

Rolling Chassis: 500

JTR setup (MSA bought): 530.95

Radiator: $200

V8 + trans: $0

misc little parts: $200

Headers + Custom exhaust: $200+200

That'll get you a preatty much rolling car for $1830.95, and if its a 240Z @ about 2400lbs, your looking at almost your goal.

That'll leave you with $2165.05 for a cage and go faster parts. Or you can up the car purchase price...

Guest HBskinheadZ

Take your estimate and add at least 30%-50%, if you find a good doner car it is possable but the little things add up quickly. Get to your local salvage yards, pick a part can save you alot of $ if you know what you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

11 sec with the big Buick isn't that hard to reach. Save the $530.95 on the JTR motor mount kit, it won't work with the Buick. It isn't that hard to make simple chassis mounts that will use the cross bolt motor mounts. Have a crude set that came on a parts car that I'll try to get pictures of to give you an idea. They would work on all GM's with a little time,torch,welder,and the tape measure.

Headers might be the biggest problem, don't know if anyone makes shortys for the Buick, the stockers might work. Course that $530 you saved buy making your own mounts will get the right stuff to change the steering shaft. I'll try to get pictures of those mounts, they are simple!!

i know a guy who had a 280z gutted out with a junkyard 350 with ported camel backs and victor jr intake and a holley 750 carb and a good cam and he would run 10s he had it on a bottle NOS a stock r200 with slicks he spent less than 3000 im sure he would go through motors like once a month but a junkyard motor is only 80 bucks if you pull it out so its not that bad there is a 240z around where i live in ventura county california for like a 1000 buck the tags are up to date and it run let me know if you want me to show it to you if youre around this area

Thanks guys.

I have been doing a lot of research lately. There is a local guy that is running 10.50's with a bottle fed 406(had a 350 and 383 all into the 11.0-10.7 range) He is on a stock r200 as well. Many 1.4-1.5 short times. I have taken a lot of pointers from his car.

I still havent found a donor car as of yet, but I have started getting parts. I might have a 700r4 in my posession shortly, and I got my tranny cooler. I am working on getting the material I will need for the cage and subframe connectors. I decided to mount the 455 using plates.

Headers will be tough though. I might have to use the stock manifolds :(

Installing a big block in a Z is no simple feat. In the one write up I have seen on big block Z's the guy moved the fire wall back 6 inches to accomodate that much motor. JTR is not applicable with big blocks.

You might want to do quite a bit more research before attempting such a project with such a low budget. Maybe the cheapest route is to trade the buick for a small block then building it up like people said.

Was that a Chevy?

The Buick 455's dimensions and weight are pretty similar to a SBC(~+50 lbs, and about +2" L,W and H). Plus, it has a front mounted distributor. JTR is out the door, obviously. But I believe this is a VERY do-able project. With some aluminum goodies, I should be as light if not lighter than a stock SBC.

http://www.wagoneers.com/FSJ/tech/Engines/swapchart.html