HybridZ

S&W rollcage install almost complete

After 9 straight hours of welding and cutting today, the rollcage is almost finished. I think it went pretty smooth for a weld in cage. I had my brother do the welding and I did all of the fitting and cutting. We got everything except the bars that go next to the doors installed and welded up. In the morning we are going to finish those, I don't have my digital camera right now to take pics but I will take some when I get it back and put them up. I went ahead and placed the hoop into the seat belt pockets and leaned it back a little for clearance on the seats. This was one of the bigger projects I wanted to get finished this winter and it looks like we will have it knocked out in a day and a half. Now I have to get the 240mm flywheel and ACT clutch installed.

On your install could you place the rear hoop elsewhere? I'd like to retain my seatbelt pocket... I've found over the years that you just don't use the racing harnesses. I'm interested in this since I'm ordering an S&W cage this month.

Mike

Guest Phil1934

I bought the S&W roill bar and slid the hoop up to the seat cross brace, then leaned it back until it cleared the wheel tubs by 1/8". Had to use a 1/8"x2" strip to reinforce the floor instead of 6"x6" plates. Pockets still useable. If you are indeed talking the roll cage, then check what the length of the roof hoop is, you may want to get it over length to allow a leaned back main hoop. Otherwise you will need to move it back as much as possible for seat adjustment.

Guest Phil1934

If I wanted it legal I would slice the cross brace free and slide a 6"x6" plate under it, then weld the hoop to the rear of the plate. No point in centering the plate as the pocket interferes, but you could bend it up an inch there. I'm omitting side bars for now and running non SFI bellhousing, flywheel and clutch. I just want to be legal enough to run a strong second to Scottie at the next SE Z meet! Hopefully low to mid 12's so don't need the rest.

Guest 240hybrid

Glad to hear that your getting you cage finished moby...they really make a car look serious, with no kidding around, oh yeah it makes it safe too. Have fun and rejoice in your accomplishment. Where are you getting your padding for the bars?? I still need to get some so I don't crack my head like a melon if I ever do go topsy turvy. I think that Jegs had some, but thought that there might be someone else with cheaper prices.

I was thinking about the mount locations that everyone else was debating about, and this will allow you to use 6x6 plating that is required and still use factory/stock seat belts. Mount the plate on that flat area just above the seat belt pocket. You know that little step up from the floor pans right before the vertical to the rear deck, you may have to curve about 1" of the plate to follow the angle down to the floor pans, but it'll be legal and what you want still. Just a thought, it should be workable.

Chase

I looked at that mounting location for a while because I have a second shell that is totally stripped in the garage. I did all of the test fitting in that one. I just decided to put it in the seat belt pocket, I am not worried about being legal for the track. I think it will still be safe because I will put some aditional bracing around that pocket and the bar.

I was going to check at an offroad 4x4 shop for the nerf padding on the bars. The car feels like it is getting closer to being finished now. Later today we may weld the sump into the extra gas tank I have and add baffles to support the turbo engine.

Good luck to you other guys that pick the S&W cage, I am happy with it.