HybridZ

Why never any Turboized Hybridz for sale??

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Has anyone else ever noticed this? It seems at any given time it's pretty easy to find more than a few V8 converted Z's for sale (in various states of completion) but in all the time I have ever been in the market for an old school hybrid Z, I've only once ever come across a turboed 240, let alone a 240 with an RB or something like that. Is it just that V8 swaps are much more common? Given the nature of the L28 ET swap I would think the opposite would be true. I just find it odd that you never really see Turbo Z's for sale....

I was thinking that to myself the other day.

The v8 swap has been done over and again since the car basically came out in the 70s, there are just more of them out there, and therefore, more of them go for sale. The fi turbo swap is relatively newer, and there are just less of them out there.

Guest Tim78zt

I would have to get more than double that for mine, Yo. That's why mine is not for sale and probably never will be!! Also, boost is addictive and driving mine is like no other experience in any price range this side of a 996 Porsche!

Tim78zt

Guest 240hybrid

Theres a guy over here in GA selling his draw through turbo Tom car. Set up for track, and he posted here a while back, he had some video to. I went a took a look at it at the car wash he owns, pretty slick setup. He wasn't there. He was making some great power then dumping a 200 shot of Nitrous Oxide in it.

Here it is...its still for sale if I believe. http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26820&highlight=turbo+tom

I might go take a look one more time before it gets sold.

Chase

I've thought about this too. All the reasons mentioned are true but probably the main reason is there just not a lot of them out there. I see 1 or 2 for sale every 6 months or so but either the work is questionable or is very good and the owner wants high dollar for it. I felt pretty lucky when I bought my turbo 240. The car was just a few blocks from my work and when I saw the car I was pretty confident it was a solid conversion. Saved me the time and effort of doing the swap myself.

Guest szlash280z

I have seen a few in ads, but never looked at them in person. I know that I am NEVER selling mine. It's much more fun to do it yourself. You get to do all the searching for the donor car, you get to do a rebuild (if you are smart!) removal and installation, a little bit of wiring and lots of research. All that equals fun! overall practically no extra parts need to be made or fabbed to do it either.

I cant see selling mine anytime soon, sucker keeps running like a top.

I have over 40k miles on my converted car so far, and its only been down for a week or so this year for mechanical-other times I was driving my other cars before I sold them.

There is one turbo converted 280z on zcar.com right now.

Guest bastaad525

Okay, about the investments... I see lots of V8 Z's going for $3-5k, which probably have THREE TIMES that much invested in them. Most of them are claimed to be running perfectly... and are clean, with chrome everything on their rebuilt high hp motors. Maybe they are just that much more common of a swap....

The REALLY funny part is this... I see more guys have more problems and more SERIOUS problems with turboed cars than I do with the V8 conversions... I"m talking once the swap is completely done and the car is driving. Maybe it's just me, but that's a pattern that I've seen.

i have about 85000 miles on my turbo conversion.the problems come from the person who installed it.and his budget for proper new parts vs taking a chance on something form pick&pull.turbo makes a better daily driver-better gas milage on freeway.like 24 or so.since i am auto mechanic for a living i am having a problem working on my z lately.it has a leaky injector hose.would sell car and massive parts inventory for $4000 though.email for info.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to consider on the V8 cars is that the Chevy swap is far better documented than the Turbo swap, even if the Turbo is mostly bolt-in hardware-wise. I mean, there's the JTR book and several mount kits for V8 people, which removes part of the trouble of mounting the engine. By comparison, this page and the IZCC page are about the only resources I've come across that go into any detail about the turbo swap, and there's nothing in print about it, to my knowledge. Problem is that it's probably considered too simple to write a book about?

To the average gearhead I'd think plunking a carb'd V8 in and getting it to run is probably easier than tracing out the EFI diagrams to figure out what connections need to be made between the Z and ZX harnesses...even if there's just a few, I guess some people are afraid of electronics. Then there's probably the attitude that if you're going to go through the trouble of a swap, why end up with the same engine that just has a turbo when you can drop in a bigger engine with all the accopanying aftermarket support...

I for one like the turbo swap, and if there's less people who feel apt to do it that makes it that more exclusive a group to be in :-D the only other early turbo Z I know of in my area is Bob_H's new car, and it's only here temporarily if I understand right. Someday there will also be a 240Z owned by the guy I sold my other parts engine to...