HybridZ

Megasquirt

pamos

Ok Moby; Here is something I couln't find out about anywhere but here (I think..) What injectors do I have in my 75 280z? I am trying to figure out if I need the 'flyback board' or something... do I have low or high impedance injectors? (they are OEM)

Another thing, I'm looking at the order form and got to thinking.. I could order the 'partial kit' (Programed chip, PCB, ect) and then go to a local elecrtonics store (Radio Shack) and buy the rest of the neccesary caps/resistors/diodes ect. using the parts list on the MS site.. would that be correct? I would worry about differing components though..like different pin locations on transistors and such.. has anyone done this?

(I also work in a machine shop, so I can build my own case, and my girlfriend is a computer person :wink: already got the laptop and cable.) I have to say, I am impressed and very interested... and got to thinking about other MS projects I could do if this works out for me!

What injectors do I have in my 75 280z? I am trying to figure out if I need the 'flyback board' or something... do I have low or high impedance injectors? (they are OEM)

My engine is the 280zx turbo. It has low impedance injectors(stock). I installed a dropping resistor pack like the MS manual describes, I didn't want to get into the flyback board and PWM just to keep my setup simple. Someone else will have to answer your question on stock NA injectors, I am not 100% sure that they are low impedance, but they should be.

I could order the 'partial kit' (Programed chip, PCB, ect) and then go to a local elecrtonics store (Radio Shack) and buy the rest of the neccesary caps/resistors/diodes ect. using the parts list on the MS site.. would that be correct?

That is true, but I think you will find that digi-key prices are better than radio shack type stores. When I put in my order at digi-key a couple resistors were backordered. I just took them off the digi-key order and bought them locally. Otherwise the backorder can take months. So I received the partial kit and digi-key parts within a week or so.

Now that I think of it, my 280z has dropping resistors already. (looked through my FSM) so I guess this means they are low resistance...guess I'll see if they will work, or I'll have to build a dropping risistor pack like you did.

As for ordering from Digi-key, you have to remember I'm in Canada, and will have to pay a little more than you to order from them (damn exchange rate!), and would then have to get it shipped to me as well. ($?$). (I have to order/get the partial kit shipped up to me already) I will look into it, but I am thinking it would be cheaper for ME to get the required parts localy. I also have quite a stash stored up of various resistors, caps, ect. I was in an electronics program (for a year :oops: ) in college, and have been tinkering with/taking apart things for years. AND I am a pack-rat. I've got a few boxes just full of electronic parts/STUFF/tools. Between that, and the local parts store, I think I could cut costs...

I really appreciate all the info. You guy's misunderstood my request at first. But all the post are filled with valuable information for me to consider. I am a visual type of person. I like pictures. So thanks alot and keep sending the info as well as the pictures. I understand about the signature now. :)

I really appreciate all the info. You guy's misunderstood my request at first. But all the post are filled with valuable information for me to consider. I am a visual type of person. I like pictures. So thanks alot and keep sending the info as well as the pictures. I understand about the signature now. :)

Just be careful how you post things. That first response was not a good way to introduce yourself to a well respected and extremely well run board. Things can easily be misconstrued on the internet as I've seen on the Mustang boards (which unfortunately resulting in banning of a few well known people). Other than that, glad to see another member on the board and to see that you're interested in the Megasquirt setup. :cheers:

Guys, keep the Megasquirt info coming. I'm learning soooo much and can't wait until Ultramegasquirt is released. Gonna get tested on my turbo conversion :lol:

pamos, here is the deal. There are twenty-five THOUSAND messages on the Megasquirt group. If you want general information, specific information, pictures, schematics - it is ALL there. There is no reason anyone here should pamper you through it or beg you to go with MS. If you want information - start reading.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirt

If you build MS and have thought out, Z-specific install questions that you can't find answers to - then come back and ask them.

Hmm.. heres a Z spesific Q to anyone running MS in a Z car: What setup are you using for ignition? More to the point, is anyone using MS AND a 'maga jolt' or similar MS compatable ignition control in their Z?

I am trying to figure out what I would do with my 280z for the igniton, because my stock 'dual pickup' dizzy and electronics..well, they suck. Id rather have a fully electronic/progamable system... I was looking at MSD or Crane perhaps, but they are lots of $$$ and I'd still have to upgrade to a 280zx dizzy (theres no aftermarket support for the dual pickup dizzy) and figure out how to wire that! Anyone got some info/knowlege?

One option is for you to run the MegaSquirt'nSpark code on your MS hardware. You lose fast idle control, but you gain ignition control. That is what I am running. It gives you a 2 dimiensional table to set up your ignition. The table is based off of RPM and manifold pressure. I know your setup is not turbo, but in a turbo car this allows you to retard timing as boost goes up. So it also saves turbo people from spending bucks on a Boost Timing Retard module.

I don't know anything about the other variants of ignition control for MS like MegaSpark, MegaJolt, etc. I know that if you run dual table code then you cannot use MegaSquirt'nSpark, because it uses the second table for the ignition control(if memory serves). But I don't think very many people use dual table code.