HybridZ

idea for a gauge pod

scottyMIz

hey guys i have been thinking about this for a while and i figured i'm gonna take one of my spare accessory flaps and cut the inside out and make it pop up with a fuel pressure gauge in it so i don't have to buy an expensive gauge I'm gonna make it electric opening and closing and so it shuts when the key is turned off.Should be nice and it will still open the regular way so you can still get to stuff.I'm gonna powder coat it black prolly do both to make them match.Anyone do this yet?

ya sorry accessory flaps or inspection lids, i would make my own pece for the middle and i am gonna pull the parts from an old cd player i have.The isolator is kind of expensive too plus i have no place to mount it. I am gonna attatch the gauge to the part i'm gonna cut out then the main part of the flap will stay in it's location the the gauge will flip up and down.I have all the parts at my disposal just have to get them to come together and the wow factor is cool too:) I'll take pics once i make a working prototype.

owen it's gonna open just like the stock lid the reg way and then the middle will go up and down so it'll be more functional.I thought about making the whole thing open the opposite way but then changed my mind.I'm gonna start on it tomorrow ii have to go shopping with the lady today :(

Guest Grenade300

I saw a late 60's firebird with a tach set up like that. It did not flip up and down, but it was definitely cool. I love the idea, even if you need to spend more on it than just a regular gauge and sender it would be really cool. In my opinion: Go 4 it. :2thumbs:

it's not gonna be on the hood it's gonna go on the inspection door on the driver's side.I won't have to have a sender at all just use a flexable high pressure line so when you open the little door it doesn't break off after repeated openings.I'm gonna start work on it today cut the opening and start making the opening unit.It would be pretty easy to see and as for snow i dount anyone will want to drive their z that has to have a fuel pressure gauge or any other high performance gauge in the snow.I'm gonna hook up the light for the gauge too so it'l be easy to see at night. It will also be able to be turned off and turned on with a switch inside you can leave it on if you want it to come on when you turn the key on and off it will automatically close whent he key is turned off,and flip back up when the key is turned back on.I have everything figured out as far as the electronics go just have to put it all together.This whole thing should be way cheaper than an electronic and isolation type gauge including the cost of a mechanical gauge.I'll try to get some pics of the progress today.

why waste the cash on something you don't need?I have it about half way done,I have to find a motor with a bit more power and less rpm but no biggie.Got the door to open but it's to fast and with the weight of a guage(any one) in there it won't open right.I'll prolly use a gear reduction to get it where i want it.

• 2 weeks later...

ok got it almost done found that a servo from a rc car works nice very torquey and is quick opening at 12v.I have pics at my zdriver site here

http://zdriver.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2171&thumb=1

just have to paint it now and make the braket for the servo.I have to modify my car to make this one work but i plan to make the others so that you don't have tp mod the car.