HybridZ

Attempting a motor swap

Moridin

This is not truly Datsun related, so I thought I might try the Non Tech Board to post it.

I don't know if some of you have read a few posts of mine pertaining to a particular Honda I own (yeah, rice to the core!!! :D ), but I mentioned some things about a new motor. Originally, I had planned on putting a simple little B16A1 for a little more get up and go (160HP 1.6L VTEC from Japan). I have 70HP in there now, and the thing is a PITA to drive on the freeway, not to mention my gas milage was starting to suffer from over abuse :twisted: (trying to get on the freeway is like a race for my life). Well...when I went over to a guys house in my area to buy a few turbo items for my datsun - intercooler, BOV, and exhaust for the Honda - I found he had a fully built B16 sitting in his garage. It wasn't just any old 1.6L Honda though. Its got a wonderful Greddy turbo kit mated up to it. I started to look more and more into what he had sitting there and boy, was I amazed. The thing has all the extras, including awesome boost controller, big intercooler, Samco hoses, ported head, built bottom end, MSD SCI ignition...the list goes on and on. He cut me a hell of a deal (and thanks to a little loan from pops, until I could get one from the bank, I was able to get it), so I decided I'd take all the running gear, including a freshly rebuilt tranny with Quafie differential installed. :lol:

Originally we were going to pull the motor and bring it over to my house, so he could sell the shell. I guess he was in a giving mood and didn't want to bother with a stripped out car on skinnies, so he gave me that too. Now I have this awesome motor (and some Wilwood brakes he threw in), and a shell to build my sister a car.

I got a little carried away with what I was typing - didn't mean to write so much - so I better get to the point. My friend and I are taking the cars over to his dad's shop this weekend and are going to do the transplant. It's going to be fun to have more than 5 times the power the car orginally had :shock:

There will be lots of pictures and maybe even a vid (just got a digital camcorder) for those of you that are interested.

My new license plate: VetEATR :twisted:

Its definitely an understatement to say that I'm excited. With the motor swapped, I'll have the easy hybrid pretty well done. Then I can finally move onto getting that poor 240Z all straightened out and in good working order, and give it boost like it has always wanted.

:wink:

Looks like I need to go to a Ricers Anonymous meeting now. :-D

I have 70HP in there now' date='

It's going to be fun to have more than 5 times the power the car orginally had :shock:

My new license plate: VetEATR :twisted: [/quote']

So your going to have 350HP(70x5 =350) in a Honda? :shock::shock: I still think a Vette is going to be tough to beat just because its a lot harder to put your 350HP to the ground because its FWD. It should be interesting on the highway though! :twisted:

Can't wait to see a video of this! Maybe there is a such thing as a fast honda? :wink:

Guy

I never did like the b16 I used the b18c with a Jackson Racing supercharger 6psi, car made 255 fwhp and would run 12.3 at the track. If you can go with the b18c or even the b18a/b with the b16a head. Honda needs as much help as they can so go larger.

Its right around 350 on pump gas. If I bump up the octane a few points, and bump up the boost, I should be sitting right at 400HP. Torque will be a problem, but the boost comes on really low and keeps going all the way to redline. I'm going to see if I can dig the dyno chart of it at 10PSI before it was tuned.

I have a new front crossmember (lightweight chromoly) with some good radius arms (adjustable for pre-load too :D ) which dramatically increase traction in a drag type situation.

Unfortunately its heresay until I get the thing in the car and on a dyno. I don't know if it will be of any interest to you, but I can post a list of stuff that has been done to the motor and suspension.

Lots of pics and a few videos should be here on Sunday, I hope.

Without sounding too negative have you seen any dyno charts yet? A B16 putting out that much power seems a little high especially on pump gas. I’ve seen built H22’s put out close to 350 around 15 psi…of course that could be the difference in the builder too I don’t know. If that B16 even puts out 300 it will still scream and be nothing to laugh at. I would like to dyno my B18C1 in my civic, yet fear that I may be disappointed. It runs pretty good but could always be faster. :twisted: And if your B16 is that powerful...then I hate you. :D And do take pics, I for one would love to see them.

Matt

The power is in the head :lol:

Also, 12PSI on one turbo charger can flow a very different amount of air on a different sized hair dryer.

I still don't know for sure, because its all heresay. All I know is the guy had the money to do it right, and knew how (and more importantly who) to do it.

Well..for anyone that's interested, here's a little update.

1st) Don't ever attempt to take a whole wiring harness out of a Honda. I have too, because of the situation with the CRX and my Civic. Its soooo much easier to just modify your own.

We did make some progress. The whole turbo motor is ready to come out, along with the entire main wiring harness. Also replaced a few gaskets and other minor things to make sure I won't have any problems (and I wonder why I keep digging myself deeper into debt over this project :( ) I'm hoping to have the motor in Sunday night and have the car running within the next few days. I have to do some modifications to get the intercooler mounted properly and get the wiring I ripped out to look clean. Coming closer and closer to a boosted car. I can't wait. :lol:

Yes those little civic can be pretty impressive. I have a video of a civic beating a corvette, but don't know where I can post it !!! :cry: If I remember correctly, that guy had a 2.0L from a crv and an head from sir. Pretty cheap built, that is what he told me !!

Dayz

With the GRS/Civic swap the wiring harness was a direct switch since you have to change the ECM with the exception of 3 other wires required. And man was I glad that was all, beasuse there are a butt load of wires in there. You are a brave man (and an intelligent one too) to build a whole new one. It's the swaps like these that people should really appreciate as opposed to the "look how much money I spent to pay someone else to do it all" builds.

Hurry up and bring on the pictures...please :D .

The wiring part of the swap would have been much, much easier, but I have a STD with dual point injection. I actually went through the wiring a little more and too many connectors are different between the CRX Si and the Civic STD. The Civic is a 91, while the CRX is an 89, which probably explains at least a few of the differences. It may also be contributed too the fact that the CRX is a little more different than its longer wheel base brother. I need to do a little more digging, because the CRX has all the provisions for the boost controller (Apex-i AVC-R, the turbo timer,and a few other things).

We ran into a little trouble last night/this morning with the motor mounts. The rear HCP mount is being a royal PITA. I'm going to take a crack at it later today after I've had a little sleep. Unfortunately, I don' t have access to the lifts and air tools that we were using at my friend's dad's Volvo shop. That sure did make quick work of a lot of other things.

I'm going to download some of the pictures in a little while, so you can get a feel for where we are at. I'm not only doing the motor, but Wilwood front brakes, new brake MC, rear disc swap, relocate battery to trunk, and redo/rewire my whole stereo with custom kick panels and sub boxes.

I appreciate the interest from you guys. I wasn't sure if this sort of thing would fly with anyone on this board. The sooner I get this one done, the sooner I can get to doing all the work that needs to be done to my 240. Its going to be so nice to have two turbo cars. GOT BOOST? :lol: