HybridZ

Another frame rail Q...

Ok, before you guys jump all over me, YES I did use the search feature, but couldn't find exactly what I'm after... I am thinking of puting frame rails/conectors in my 75 280z. The floors/factory rails have been replaced, but it looks like a shoody job, and Im not too sure how strong they actually are. They arn't even straight OR paralell to ground! What I am thinking of is using 3X2" .125 thick chanel from the T/C bracket back to the rear frame. I figured I'd just put it right over what's there right now, and not cut the floor's. Is this 'do-able' or will it not work well?

Thanks guys... got a question about this though....

album_pic.php?pic_id=2529

don't know who's car this is, but what do you ppl think of doing a frame like this? (outside the original frame rail) And are there any pics of the rear of this setup? This looks like what I want to do (saves cutting out the floor/rewelding it later) and would be easier (I think) for me as I have no hoist or rotiserie, and will be lying down to do it. What do you guys think?

I just finnished this 'mod' on my car, but I did the floor pans as well. I don't see any reason why you could not build the rails that are similar to pparaska's and fit them underneath the existing floors. I would like to add that since I ran my rails first and then tied the floors into them, the set up seems like it is very stiff. That said, I bought a 24ft long 11ga 2"x3" tube and had it cut up into 6' lenths and a 4' x8' sheet of 18ga and had it cut up. I was lucky in that my employer ordered it for me and cut it up for me, that was a huge help. Anyway, below is the link to a post with my results. Those rails are almost identical to pparaskas. If you havn't checked his site out, do so. I think I spent about 80 bucks on the material, and I have more than enough to do another set of rails if you are in the area. Sell you what I have left cheap, $30 for 2 6ft rails and a 2'x5' sheet if you want it.

Took me about a 7-8 hours to build the frame rails and weld them up and another 7-8 hours per side to weld in the rails and the floors. I don't know if 3 full days is fast or slow but it seemed like a really long time to have that welding helmet on! I was learing to weld durring all of this too, but I had a great time and I think it turned out pretty good.

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28937