HybridZ

how much can a r200 handle

cobraz240z

The R200 will take it, but I've learned from past experiences that you're going to want some stronger halfshafts and stub axles. After putting the 2nd 350 in my old 240, I made about 1/10th of a pass down the quarter strip before my halfshafts twisted in half...but it's a good way to find out you're making good power. :D

Find a shop that can fabricate you some good halfshafts/stub axles, and you'll be set.

JB

Personally I will never own an automatic sports car, it takes to much away from driving but if I had a purely drag car I would go auto. If you are going to auto cross I would definetely go manual. Again much of this debate is driver's preference as tech can take care of the rest with enough $$$

She wont be strictly a drag car. Mainly a street car with occasional drag and auto x. Plus the stop light shenanigans! If I get serious about drag racing it, I will go live axle. Depending on the cost of axles, I might go ahead and do it now. A local guy is running mid 10's on his r200 and stock axles. I definately dont plan on being faster.

So what place do you guys recommend for axles (other than the search button :P) I will do a search, but if anyone else can add helpful experiences, I would appreciate it!

all my cars are stick the datsun was auto stock but i have a manual pedal asslemlby and a auto i just need to make up my mind i have a world class t5 and a c4 there is a machine shop where i live kinda im going to get a estimate on those custom axles they do alot of racing stuff

silicone boy,

Do you mean CV adaptors? If so, I have personally seen his (Ross C's) adaptors go 10.5's in the quarter mile without a sweat. That's the same setup I plan on using (still have to buy them). On a side note, the Z I saw using them was a 240 GNZ, like mine, Scottie's, and Big Geeks. FYI, these cars make some major torque! I think you should be safe. Scottie?

!M!

That setup is plenty strong, BUT, remember that you are using 20+yr old used CV axles in unknown condition so it is really a crapshoot. "Rebuilts" are no better because the cages are made of inferior metal. So much of how long it lives depends on tires, how hard you launch and suspension setup especially to avoid wheel hop, IOW, no "road racing" suspension setup. FWIW, I used to cut low-1.60s, with a best of 1.55, on 275 DRs launching off a t-brake. I broke a drivers side CV and the guy at RAxles said that was unusual because it is the passenger side that usualy breaks :roll:

You could probably work on a technique that launches not as hard then lay into it when the tires hook. Won't get you lightning quick 60' times but the parts will live. If you plan on slicks or ET Streets, etc, a t-brake and plenty of boost off the line, then get lots of spare CVs and stub axles or go a different route. Never ceases to amaze me that folks would never consider running the stock stuff behing a big block but forget that a honking low-RPM turbo motor has just as much torque.

If the focus is auto-x and street with the occasional run down the strip, then develop the axle-saving launch technique and it will live. However, trust me on this. The 1st time you feel that yourself being shoved into the seat at 100+ going down the strip, you will be hooked and like the "Gov" said, "I'll be back". My Z was originally being set up for auto-x and drivers schools and look what happened :D :D BTW, good luck trying to auto-x that beast :D