HybridZ

Door side crease bodywork and the perfect line

blueovalz

A few weeks (months?) ago, a member asked a question about help in making the crease on the side of the door perfectly straight. I thought I'd share my method for future "searches." My method involves drawing a straight line on the door (assisted by my new friend and tool-the laser leveler) where the crease should be located, then along this line every few inches I draw a cross-ways mark perpendicular to the longer line. Below is a photo of these lines on the crease of NON-straight door as witnessed by the contours of color from sanding through the uneven surface. "Guide" coats work as well, but this method leaves little to chance and can be done with one color:

standard.jpg

Next, I sand the areas above and below the crease (My method was a stick parallel to the crease but the sanding strokes are 45 degrees to it) lightly and patiently until the cross marks slowly disappear on the side of the long line that I'm sanding. Once this is done, I know that that side is flat up to the line, and not further because even though the cross marks are gone on that side of the line, the line itself is still there:

standard.jpg

Then I continue onto the other side until the cross marks are gone there as well, but still leaving the long line intact:

standard.jpg

Then I prime it knowing the line has to be straight. If not, then some of the cross marks would not sand off being the adjacent surface was still too high or uneven (requiring more filler or more sanding either way). This is what a final sanding looks like after being primed:

standard.jpg

my god you do some great work..

one question... you know the Z06 air ducts? is there away you can get that type of duct on the side of a Z?

i so want to do that, im so into crazy body work like your car, but i just want to make this Z i have now simple and clean.. BUT i think some Z06 style brake ducts would look awesome.

any ideas how i would go about this?

mike

Thanks Terry,

Simple, straight forward method that doesn't require any fancy tools. Well, there is that laser level but those are getting dirt cheap. So many good uses that they should be in every tool box.

Seeing that beautiful straight crease line almost makes me sad to think of what I paid to have mine removed!

ndc2.jpg

very nice work now here is my question, My car has had some cheap bodywork done on it. How would i get the lower crease, the deep lip type one, to look right on the fenders and doors. The previous owner went the easy way out and just blended it into the fender at the rear but it bothers me. if you have any ideas please let me know, thanks.

• 4 years later...

On page 136 of Street Rodder Magazine November, 2008, there is a very good article called "Smooth as Glass - the art of blocking fiberglass". It discusses this subject in pretty good detail.

I couldn't find the article on the web site but I'll bet back issues are available.

Al

I saw a technique on... Overhaulin, haha. What they did was mask one side of the crease, so that the edge of the tape was right on the crease, then block sand the un-masked side of it. Repeat on the other side. This keeps the sanding from wearing down on the crease and keeps it sharp. It was one of the first episodes... the shoebox Ford they painted green.