HybridZ

240Z V8 Conversion - Cost$ and time

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm considering putting a standard Chevy 350 into my 72 240Z and wanted to get an idea of the total costs involved and the amount of time it would take.

I just ordered the JTR manual to get started reading the specs.

Are suspension mods necessary?

Thanks in advance,

Gabe

Guest Anonymous

Mods to the suspension, brakes, and frame are necessary to make a safe V8 Z. If you still have an R180 differential in your car than swapping that out for an R200 wouldn't be a bad idea unless you are running a very mild (<200 hp) V8. You sould figure a cost of between $3000-$5000 for a good running daily driver that is both safe and fast. If you want to ever break into the 300+hp range the costs go up dramatically.

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont. http://members.xoom.com/SpencZ/index.htm

Guest Anonymous

Gabe, you will find most of the answers you are lookin for in the jtr book. But I can tell you now , you can do as little as just a box stock motor and tranny for not much more than the cost of your motor and tranny, or the sky's the limit. It really depends on your money and the extent of your addiction. And I can tell you, the addiction WILL grow.

But it is a lot of fun and there are a bunch of really good guys on this site. I have learned tons of things about this conversion. Have fun and welcome aboard.

------------------

74 260, early 350,K.B.pistons,edelbrock manifold,carb,and cam,202 cast iron heads.Let the transformation begin.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the comments.

Can anyone say anything about how long it took them after they have their engine, trans, and mounting kit??

Still trying to get an idea of the time.

-Gabe

Any V8 Z guys around Gainesville, FL??

Once you have everything you need to complete the transformation, My guess is between 20-30 hours of honest work and major changes. Then you must prepare for the de-bugging phase....that could take a lifetime... Seems like mine is...

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I think I hold the record at 9 years and counting. But I've gotten carried away and had lots of time off in that time frame.

I've basically restored the body and modified all the mechanicals and lots of other stuff. That's not a good example to site, but I thought I'd throw in an example of a "snowballed" project (thanks for the name Mike!)

Do a simple install with minor mods like JTR outlines, and I'd say a few weekends and a handful of weeknights, once you have EVERYTHING lines up that you can think of. There are always those unseen parts that you'll need to run out and get.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

• 4 weeks later...

LIKE THEY SAY, DEPENDING ON HOW HEATED YOU WANT THAT BAD BOY TO BE, AND TRUST ME ITS NEVER ENOUGH, IT CAN COST YOU ANYWHERE FROM

1500 TO ??????TOO MUCH

ME, I BOUGHT A 327 CAMARO 1967 WITH A SALVAGED TITLE AND A WHOLE BODY OF RUST AND BONDO FOR 300, STRIPPED THAT THING DOWN, RIPPED THE MOTOR AND TRANNY OUT, REBUILT EM

CLEANED EM, AND THREW EM IN THE 1972 FAIRLADY

AND SOLD THE BODY FOR 200 TO MY NEIGHBOR

MY GUY IS NOW RUNNING ABOUT 400HP TO THE WHEELS WITH 350 LBS OF TORQUE THAT COMES INTO PLAY AT 4000RPM, WITH A 411 POSI REAR

END.....LOVE AT FIRST BITE

MAKE IT HAPPEN HOMIE, I SEEN YOURE A 72 AS WELL, AND WE GOT TO REPRESENT

DO IT, AND DO WHAT I DO, RUN EVERY 1990-96 300Z TWIN TURBO IN SIGHT, HAVENT HAD ONE COME CLOSE YET, THEY SPEND 30,000 CAR ALONE AND THEY CANT COMPETE, THATS LOVE

GOOD LUCK

LEONARD, 327 FAIRLADY MOBSHOT

• 2 years later...
Guest Anonymous

Just thought I'd bring this one out of the gutter. I'm a newbie at this too and was wondering if the costs have risen or reduced since this thread started?

I'd like ot get myself a cheap 240 or 260 and do a v8 conversion, tranny, brakes, etc. Basically a complete overhaul. I'm looking for about 300-350hp. How much am I looking to spend?

Price is still the same Torque-Meister.

Anywhere from about $1500 to too too much. :eek:

You just got to know when to stop.

Hey, remember when Len used to talk like that? You listen to him now and he's all white boy. weird.gif

Just kidding buddy, had to yank your chain. :D

Guest TexasShadow

I am spending way too too much on mine. I just keep reminding myself that, when I'm done, I'll have spent less than half of what I would have spent for a new car with the same performance and have a unique, personalized, head turner.