HybridZ

Just a reminder for some of you about my Z32 swap....

Just wanted to put up these few pics in case y'all had never seen them. These are all old and no where near up to date. Since these pics, the entire car has been put together, runs, drives, and just needs to be tweaked before I can get it on the road. Here's my current progress (in text):

[]Chevy LS1 V8 ------------------------------------------FULLY INSTALLED

- (Stock w/80mm TB, Upgraded MAS)

[]6-speed Borg-Warner Tranny -------------------------FULLY INSTALLED

- (Short Shifter)

[]Vortech SC (Water Cooled)@ 8psi --------------------FULLY INSTALLED

- (Vortech Aftercooler, custom radiator, larger injectors, custom ECU)

[]Full Custom Exhaust (stock ls1 headers) -------------FULLY INSTALLED

- (Dual 2.5" all the way)

[]ALL WIRING --------------------------------------------- DONE

- ('Painless' wiring harness, all other custom wiring)

[]Custom Autometer Gauge Pod ------------------------FULLY INSTALLED

- (Speedo, Tach, Fuel, Water Temp, Oil Press, Boost, Fuel Press, Air/Fuel)

[]Battery in trunk ----------------------------------------- DONE

- (Optima Yellow Top, now I have NO trunk space... i'll be fixing that)

[]Custom Cowl Hood ------------------------------------- DONE & INSTALLED

- (The pic below is very misleading, turned out lower and very sleek.)

Everythings done, there were a few exhaust leaks @ the headers, and some tweaking needs to be done to correct the fuel pressure, but that is ALL.

Here are the pics that were never shown...

OLD.. from February 2003...

zfeb1.jpg

From APRIL 2003...

zjune1.jpg

From JUNE 2003, this is NOT my filter setup...

massywire1.jpg

JUNE again, pre-radiator, but it started and ran (water recycled through the block)....

messywire2.jpg

JUNE yet again, hideous and HUGE, but nowehere near the final product...

ridcowl.jpg

Battery in the trunk, from June....

battback.jpg

Once again.. these are old.. I never got a chance to take newer pics since Ive been up at school, but the hood is done and on the car (it looks great), everything else is back together, and the wiring doesn't look so crappy in the engine bay anymore.

Just thought I'd post so everyone could get an idea of when progress was made during my swap. Oh, and I was the first (that anyone knows of) to pioneer this ridiculous swap :wink: .

I'll get y'all some video of me starting her up, revving, and maybe a little driving sequence for an X-mas present. 8)

(For those who were wondering what's going to happen to the shop from hell that screwed me.... I can't really say anything due to legal issues, if you get my drift. :twisted: )

-Vann

Actually I dont remember the guys name but you werent the first. Someone else beat ya to it. However you are the first with the supercharger and you have one sweet car. Only thing I dont like is that crazy hood scoop but you did say it came out alot lower I hope its like 3 inches lower kinda big but just my .02 cant wait to see it finished. So how did things turn out with the shop that was working on your car. Did they make everything right or did you have to bite the bullet. Thanks for the updates

You know i saw the website of the shop that did the work. YOu have the 700ZXC?? Not too bad. I spoke to the owner of the shop about the setup and you did yours quite differently than mine (As far as motor placement, crossmembers, wiring, etc). But overall a pretty good job. Its feels good to be the pioneer in an area...doesnt it?! The SCer idea is very good. How much lcearance did you have with just the motor and the hood? No SCer... In my setup, my motor sits about 2.5in lower than the top of where the stock VG motor sat. GIves a lot of room for something like a SCer in the future 8)

Guest KillerZees

I just have to ask..why. I have a twin turbo with just intake, exhaust and chip that has 400 hp. with a new feul management system and larger turbos and intercooler ive seen them at over 500 @ the wheels. Im sure you have your reasons Im just wondering why you went through all the work to change out the trany and do all the custom work.

Guest KillerZees

very true I was wondering why no just swap the tt motor, it is easier that way its been done alot... but itll be interesting to see a z32 with that much torque

I just have to ask..why. I have a twin turbo with just intake, exhaust and chip that has 400 hp. with a new feul management system and larger turbos and intercooler ive seen them at over 500 @ the wheels. Im sure you have your reasons Im just wondering why you went through all the work to change out the trany and do all the custom work.

KillerZees - Answer: Torque, v8 rumble, wet-your-pants acceleration... oh, and it's unique. TT swaps are boring. :roll:

Aldashwa - the owner of that shop needs to be hung. If you spoke to Phil.. you didn't gat any correct answers about my Z. Oh, and that 700ZXC thing is complete crap and is coming off my car ASAP, I just bought that rear center panel and they slapped that silly f-in decal on. :cuss:

I'll let you know... the shop didn't do crap, one mechanic, Gustavo, the honly honest guy is the whole damn place did a lot of work.

The hood fit fine over the bare LS1, but the SC required me to raise it since I have the vortech aftercooler. Like I said, it is MUCH nice than that pic I showed above... that was a base for the sheetmetal work that ended up being completely wrong measurements due to that shop owner. (i could say so many things about that, but I'll be polite and shutup) :cuss:

ToplessZ - Didn't realize anyone else had put an LS1 into their Z32. I saw an LT1 put in one and a few 350sbc's but not the LS1. Just wierd since I asked about a million times if anyone had seen or heard of it being done before I started. Oh well.. mines faster. :wink:

-Vann

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest Wrath

Hey guys! I'm new to the site and the racing world. I've never done anything this extreme and it excites the hell out of me. I have been an admirer of the z32 since it's come out and I love good old american muscle. I think the marriage of the two is perfect. I don't have the car yet but I should in the next two months. In the meantime, I've been reading books and going from forum to forum getting Ideas. This site is by far the best. I look forward to my first build ever and the use of the knowledge of all of you guys. Like the saying, "Like a kid at Christmas" I finally know exactly what that feels like; I can't wait. So many people have tried to tell me that I should just get the car and tweak what's already there, but come on. I want to create a machine that will do what I want it to do when and how I want it done. I look forward to talking to you all soon and getting some pics of my progression.

I would love to see pics of the swap aswell. I spoke with GEMINI a few months ago about his swap and how I should get started. Mine is in the shop as we speak getting worked on. But I running an all forged 406 SBC hooked to a 4L80 auto trans. I plan on spraying the crap out of it with nitrous. But I'll get some pics. WOW it's gonna be a fun summer for some of us.