HybridZ

Stealth Ram revisited

Has anyone here actually used the Holley Stealth Ram that Grumpyvette talks about so highly? He found one at Fasterdeals.com that comes in at just over 9" higher than the block. Supposedly, a TPI setup is a hair taller than this, and some of you are using these. Theoretically, then, a modified Stealth Ram should fit, but you never know. I don't want to commit to this if it won't work. An alternative to this would be a TPIS Miniram, but I'm not sure this would be much of an advantage. My current TPI setup includes 58mm throttlebody, larger runners, and is ported, so it flows about as well as a TPI system can. Besides, this is on a turbo setup, so does it matter how much it flows naturally if it is going to be force fed?

I may be one of the few who has run and tested most of the available EFI intakes, TPI both with and without high flow base and runners, the SUPER ram,THE mini ram,the standard single plane intake modified for EFI, and the factory holley EFI single plane intake, and tested them, the STEALTH RAM HAS THE MOST POTENTIAL,OF ANY I TESTED ..PERIOD! and makes excellent power in exactly the right rpm band 3500rpm-6500rpm PLUS for max power useing the 350-406 size sbc Ive tested them on when anything close to the correct cam and compression is used

BTW theres even more flow to be had with mild porting to the intake runners, the stock stealthram flow enough air for well over 500hp but mild port work allows it to flow enough air voluum to support close to 600hp

heres some data you might use

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0307htp_holleystealth/

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2826

http://www.crossedflags.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4411

heres a stealth ram with a custom plenum like I run to fit under my C4 corvettes hood

http://www.fasterdeals.com/vette/engine1.jpg

BTW heres an EMAIL I GOT LAST WEEK

Paul,

I just finished installing the Stealth Ram and your custom plenum on my 89 Vette. I always wanted something different when I opened the hood and now I have it. The performance is awesome!

I want to thank you for your efforts in making this a reality! I am very happy with your plenum and the end results. Feel free to use me as a reference if you would like.

Thanks again for your hard work!

John Dwyer

vettestealthram.jpg

:D Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to doing the swap.

I've got the Stealth Ram fuel rails and FPR, LT1 TB, and 36lb injectors. My current MSD dist

should clear the plenum. I still need to get a EFI fuel pump. I'll probably get a Walbro 255lph.

I plan to use the MegaSquirt that I've got running on my '78 280Z.

I don't expect to gain much HP. I think my current setup is tuned pretty well.

This will enable the addition of boost in the future... :twisted:

:cheers:

Don

This will enable the addition of boost in the future...

Which brings me to the second part of my question. Does it really matter how good your intake setup is if you are going to force feed it? After all, you could get more CFM's flowing through it by cranking up the boost.

By the way, do you like my new avatar or did you like my last one better? I had planned on changing them weekly, but I find it hard to move on to a new avatar when the one I'm using at the time is so yummy :-D

• 4 weeks later...

With a bit of luck, I'll get it running this weekend. I don't know how long it

will take to get it fine tuned.

I have never had the car on a dyno. I did manage to run 11.16 @ 122 in the

1/4 mile with the carb. At 2800 lbs, that works out to about 400 RWHP.

I hope I can get close to that with the EFI.

Don

I can confirm that the Holley Stealth Ram fits under the stock hood.

Thanks a whole bunch, Don. Makes me want one for no good reason. Actually, the best reason is that Grumpyvette keeps on telling us how great it is for such a reasonable price. By the way, he does this on every Vette board on the net (see digitalvette.com).

I was able to hold off getting one in my mind because I had myself convinced that even a modified one wouldn't fit. Now I see from your picture that it isn't true (nice to know that someone else is stuck with the puke traffic cone orange color that I am). My current setup is a Vic Jr. type manifold set up for fuel injection. I'm sure it would work great, but for some reason, I can't get the Stealth out of my mind. Is there any compelling reason to switch?

Don, I don't know if silicone boy's Jr Vic with FI would flow better than the Holley Stealth. Holley sells a single plane intake with FI called the Commander 950 and tested the Stealth againest it and the Stealth made considerably more power than the 950. So who knows? I can tell you that unlike a carb setup, bigger is better with a FI system when it come to air flow. Sounds like we need Grumpy to chime in.

Mark

The commander 950 is the computer (I have one). The intake sold in the kit is just part of the kit. Mine's on a TPI now.

Guys...those intakes are soooo sexy. 8) I was always edgy about the fitment. Dmanzo: I already have a TPI setup. Beyond the lower & upper plenums and the fuel rails, what else do I need to do the install?

I already have a TPI setup. Beyond the lower & upper plenums and the fuel rails, what else do I need to do the install?

The Stealth Ram seems to have been designed to replace TPI manifolds. It uses a TPI throttle

cable bracket and TPI throttle body. I believe the TPI engines use a small cap distributor,

which you will need to clear the upper manifold. The fuel fittings are -6 AN with inlet on the

left front and return on the right front. I don't know how compatible the water outlets are

compared to stock TPI locations.

I had a hard time getting the heater hooked up because the water outlet I needed to use was

right under the fuel pressure regulator. I had to find a low profile 1/2" pipe elbow to clear the

FPR.

I got mine running on Monday and took it for a spin. :D I need to get an air cleaner before I can

start driving it more to work on the tuning.

Don

You think I could do the whole thing for $1500 including an AFPR, new injectors, and new TB (I have the stock 42mm still)? How close is the stock plenum to the hood? Could I return the plenum and get the Corvette short version if it doesn't fit? What is the price difference if I just get the corvette version, and is there any power difference between the two? I may just get it. :)