HybridZ

brake upgrade -- worth the price????

No way!!! You can buy these calipers at your local parts store for 80 bucks a piece (at the most) and you can get the braided lines for about 50 bucks for the pair once again at your local shop.

so 210 plus tax no shipping!!!

These may be used as well I did not read the whole description as the font is way too small...I wonder if there is a reason for that?!?

Rufus

Thats what I am saying, the description is misleading to the point of being an outright lie!!! Tomohawk is correct... 80 with a core...I used my Datsun cals as a core... the parts dudes never look in the box and if they did, unless it was the same person that sold them to you they are cluless as to what caliper is what...they would be lucky to even know what a caliper is in the first place!!!

It may be dishonest to use the wrong cal as a core but I have had to deal with so many parts "people" that waste my time either giving me the wrong parts, or just being plain useless, that it does not bother me at all. Years ago, when you went to get parts, the person behind the desk was at least somewhat knowlegeable...these days, it is just a bunch kids who's knowlegde is limited to chrome tail pipes and aluminum pedal covers!!!

EDIT: If any of you guys are parts people...obviously there ARE knowledgeable parts people around...just very hard to find. When I do meet one, I remember their name, and then only deal with them at that particular store.

No cores required! Now that price is for what the auction was for the stock rotor S12 4 piston caliper upgrade.

I do sell the 300ZX vented rotor upgrade as well, thats a little more, but you get newly remaned calipers, pins rattle clips, bendix brakes, and bendix rotors. I sell those for like 270 for everything.

I could never find a source to do the spacers any cheaper then it would be for me or you to buy them from the likes of JSK or your own machine shop in your area.

The usual cost for the spacers are anywhere at least from what I have found in my area, 60-70 dollars for the pair. As you see it wouldnt be cost effective. So I just sell the rotors and brakes for the vented set up and like someone else already said, you can get the lines cheaper from a number of sources.

No cores required! Now that price is for the stock rotor S12 4 piston caliper upgrade.

More people should know about that deal :2thumbs: You got 4-piston calipers with the stock rotors, and no spacers needed!

Now, I just need a new set of rotors. Mine are too thin. Is there an alternative source?

I just got an email reply from the guy selling those calipers on eBay-

He says those are the Toyota calipers. I should inform him that his description is innaccurate and he should pull the item.

Here's the reply:

"Q: Are these calipers the ones from the Toyota 4x4 truck, as in the popular conversion?

A: yes! "

his email is: a2602nv@yahoo.com

I hate it when people do this.

All contemporary cars come with vented brake rotors now. It helps stay cool in stop-and-go traffic, not much more expensive to make and probablably not heavier, if at all. Compared to solid rotors.

I suspect it's also much easier/cheaper to machine. the vented slots & holes are not good to the lathe's cutting tool.

What is inaccurate in his description? There are two different versions of the Toyota 4x4 calipers, one that works with the stock rotors and one that works with the vented rotors. The calipers are not interchangeable. "Caliper upgrade" says brake upgrade to me. Also if you look at other 4x4 sources, his prices are high but not totally out of line

http://fonebooth.com/brakes_zcar.html

I use to have a link for a JY selling used calipers mail order for $85 delivered.

Now if you want to talk about a rip off, check out MSA's price on the 4x4 brake upgrade

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PBC07

There is quite a bit of dissention about the worthiness of the 4x4 calipers. Do a search, but seems like the guys who have done the calipers only love them, while many others (who may or may not have done the upgrade) don’t consider it an “upgrade†without vented rotors. The big issue with upgrading brakes is shedding heat. Obviously increasing the mass of the rotors helps shed heat. One thing is for sure, the 4x4 calipers are HEAVY. Not the ultimate racing set up, but probably cost effective for the street.

There are two different versions of the Toyota 4x4 calipers, one that works with the stock rotors and one that works with the vented rotors.

OK...

Which calipers work with the STOCK rotors? for myself, it seems like the better thing, since i only do street/hoighway cruising. Otherwise, I would just use the simple, vented rotors

Either way looks like you get to pay about $90 just for the rotors.