HybridZ

mandrel exhaust finally finished (picture included)

mobythevan

I have been putting this off forever. Who likes to lay under the car and tack weld stuff together, maybe Jesse James but not me. Anyway, I made the downpipe out of 2.5 inch steel pipe as usual with a 3/8 mild steel flange that I ported to match the stock turbo. Right after the tranny cossmember the pipe couples to 3 inch and then through the dynomax bullet. Keeping the pipe at 2.5" until after the crossmember keeps it tucked up real nice into the tranny tunnel. When I upgrade to a big turbo down the road I can do a 3" downpipe to the coupler and not have to remake the back part of the system. You'll notice a few extra bends in their to keep the pipe tucked up as much as possible. I could have made it easier by using straight sections, but I thought it was worth the time to gain the extra clearance. Now that the exhaust and roll cage are finished, I think the hardest fabrication efforts are behind me with the turbo L6 car. Luckily you can't see any of my welding in the picture. :D That is just the old 240 exhaust in the picture, used it for a template on some things.

album_pic.php?pic_id=2608