HybridZ

Baked Parts

Georgia Flash

Has anyone ever spray painted a part with regular over the counter spray paint and then baked it in an oven? If so what were the results? How long did you leave it in the oven and at what temperature did you do the baking?

I was re-doing my 240SX calipers in preparation for putting them on the 76 Z and I remember last time it took the damn paint about three days to fully dry! I painted them last night and they are still very tacky to the touch.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I have heard that trying to bake them in the oven will disrupt the curing process of the paint and make it to were the paint will (fail) prematurely.

What I normally do is let the parts sit in the sun for a while so they get nice and warm, let the paint can sit in the sun as well, and then paint and let them sit in the sun. Make sure the temp is above 76*F (preferably 80-90) and that it is a nice dry day. Humidity really slows the curing and can make the paint (fail) as well.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Paint them in your bathroom if you have a good fart fan. That's where I paint some small things when it is cold outside, or if I just want a little buzz. :wink:

Just drape some old sheets around to catch overspray, etc.

If you do try the oven, put it on the lowest heat setting. I am not sure I would try that though as those fumes will probably never get all the way out, and there is likely to be some sort of flamable chemical on the part.

Yep I painted them in my garage last night and brought them inside and placed them on the counter top directly above the dish washer. The counter gets real warm there. I am about to go back at it again this morning. I have to go and pick up my 20" piece of hard line from O'rielly's parts store in about an hour so I can start on the driver's side for the rear brake swap.

Yeppers that is my problem right now here in GA it is 52 degrees! I usually do the same thing that you suggested but I have no sun just rain and cold :evil:

I hate you California boys 8) Just kidding' date=' I wish I lived out there sometimes.[/quote']

Don't feel bad. It's been cold and wet here for the last few days too. At least you Southern boys got some fine cookin' to enjoy while the paint's drying. :wink:

Haha at this time of year everybody should have some fine cooking to enjoy I would think anyway.

I visited Cali twice when I was in the Army, however, it wasn't very enjoyable. I went to the National Training Center near San Bernadino CA. in the 80's. 110 degrees in the shade!

The only thing that was good was there was no humidity like here in GA.

I guess watching the paint dry is all a matter of where you live. Up north we have 240 volt heaters, the kind that plug into the same plugs as the welders. This keeps things above freezing. Some guys use wood stoves. I just put the part in front of the heater. Works good for Fiberglas and bondo too.

Hey Georgia Flash you car looks like it’s coming along really good.

thats what I do. I put out my parts in front of a little electric heater for a while and then spray them (turn the heater off!) and bake em sommmore with the heater. Ive been using the spray on high heat engine enamels and they have been working great takes them about 20 min to be dry to the touch.

-Austin

are you using engine enamel or just spray paint? I used black engine enamel on my calipers, and just pointed a hair dryer at them for a few minutes between coats. It worked like a charm. They were instantly dry. well... not instantly, but they were dry to the touch after just 5-6 minutes.