HybridZ

John's conversion kit or JTR?

Guest Anonymous

I'm not familiar with John's, but my JTR kit came with the trans crossmemeber and all the parts I needed to install my motor. IT also came with a radiator support that I didn't use, opted for an aluminum mount. Anyway, Not sure what you are getting extra through

John's, but JTR was my one stop, one order shop!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Im useing John's kit, my advice to you is go with the JTR kit and do it right the first time.

The extra parts are not worth the additinal money and john's kit sits 3 inchs forward of the jtr kit, allmost like the old scarab kit.

The only thing I really like about it is the mounting looks very strong, the fron motor mount is attached to the crossmeber and the frame rails.

Looking back, I would do the JTR kit and be happier.

My .02 cents.

------------------

Dan, 78 280Z, 383FI, 700R4 allmost ready!

http://members.home.net/dporter1/

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, Dan.

I know that the John's Cars kit USED TO BE a scarab/hooker placement kit, now you have confirmed that it still is. Plus I never cared for the tone of his literature. Plus his web page is very UNinformative compared to the JTR page.

JTR it is!

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@tidalwave.net">pparaska@tidalwave.net -

Dan,

If what you say is true, save yourself some headache and trouble and replace the current mounts with a JTR setup. It is only $300 and the amount of handling and weight balance you will find is worth 10 times that cost.

You should never, N-E-V-E-R put the motor three inches further forward. Driving a Scarab conversion, then climbing into a JTR conversion ....well there is no comparison. This is the exact reason I spent two years of my Zcar life toiling away on a tweeked out L6 motor. I drove a Scarab Z and it handled so poorly and did everything so BAD that I was a V8 basher for quite some time!

Mike

------------------

mjk

Guest Anonymous

Since money was an issue in my case, I purchased the steel at the scrap yard, and used the drawings in the jtr book, to fab all the mounts except the tranny cross member, It was very easy to do and I only spent about 15 bucks on the whole kit.(excluding tranny mount)I think I am gonna make a few more mount kits just for the heck of it while I am set up for it. but that 200.00 or 300.00 I saved will work nicely towards suspension mods.

------------------

74 260, early 350,K.B.pistons,edelbrock manifold,carb,and cam,202 cast iron heads.Let the transformation begin.

Guest Anonymous

What about the M.S.A. kit? Has anyone tried this? It is $200. with engine and trans mounts and the mounts appear to be rubber insulated as opposed to solid.

jer

Guest Anonymous

Unfortunately moving the engine back is not in the budget right now, Im going to wait until I do a T56 tranny and then I will use the JTR mounting.

On my test drive I did not notice anything unusual about the feel or handling of the car but I also am using a lot of light weight parts up front and the battery is in the trunk.

To do a T56 with mounts, shorting the drive shaft, shorting the exhaust, and just making cables, hoses etc longer or shorter is going to run me about $3000.00… just not in the budget now…. next year yes.

I want to get the car running, finish the suspension and get the body, interior etc finished.

Then ill revisit the motor/tranny issue.

------------------

Dan, 78 280Z, 383FI, 700R4 allmost ready!

http://members.home.net/dporter1/

Guest Anonymous

Thank you VERY much guys! I wasn't aware that the JTR kit came with the tranny mounts, this changes everything. JTR it is!! smile.gif

I should probably start a new thread, but oh well. Do any of you trailer your Z's? If so, what do you use? I can't afford much but mine will not be street legal or even drivable due to spool, slicks, and basically just power. I have a '00 S-10 Xtreme (It can't tow as much as a regular s10 but it'll work). Thanks for the help...

Thom

I have used my 1993 GMC Sierra GT (Lowered, modified 350 w/ tow package, minus coolers ...doh!) to tow my Z thru the blue ridge mountains and the one thing I can comment on is cooling. I'll spend money on a trans cooler and oil cooler before I tow any serious weight agian. Also run premium gas when towing. Mine pulled the car and a 1500# trailer just fine once I got 92 octane gas in it. I also recommend getting a trailer with electric brakes, twin axles, and load leveler if you can afford it! I couldn't, but a friend borrowed one for me to use at the time!

Mike

------------------

mjk