HybridZ

GM 292

warrenp

here is just a thought.

i was at the junk yard today gitting hei distributos

and i got 2 from 292's

and some 250's

i have seen some people turbo or twin turbo there L series z motor.

why not turbo or twin turbo a 292? and stuff that in a 70-78z

and i bet there would still be tons of room to work on it.

unlike a V8 tubo or twin turbo and more power than a inline 6 z motor.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
here is just a thought.

i was at the junk yard today gitting hei distributos

and i got 2 from 292's

and some 250's

i have seen some people turbo or twin turbo there L series z motor.

why not turbo or twin turbo a 292? and stuff that in a 70-78z

and i bet there would still be tons of room to work on it.

unlike a V8 tubo or twin turbo and more power than a inline 6 z motor.

It would make a great tree stump puller, if you could get the tires to stay down.

The reason truck engines are made the way they are is for one simple purpose, to move a lot of weight. When you have a car that has very little weight, an engine of such design has no place.

yeah, up here we use 292 for boat motors great for lobstering.

what about a 250? the stroke is not as long. i'm assuming prolly around the same weight.

but for conviance it would be esier to work on than a SBC.

don't get me wrong SBC, are easy to work on, but try stuffing a cupple turbos in there too. or even a SC. it won't all fit under our hoods mabe if your crafty enough.

i guess i need more pounding in to my head so excuse my ignorance

292 is a very torquey motor and if the proformance parts are there any not utilize them? not trying to argue just trying to understand.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
but try stuffing a cupple turbos in there too

If you are after the kind of power that you would need to have twin turbos on a SBC, I seriously doubt you would be happy with any straight six.

Back to the 6's though... that 250 you mentioned might work for a Z, it has a 3.530" stroke, which is about the same as a Chevy 350. There is also a 230 which is a 3.250" stroke (same as a 327). If properly balanced, both of these 6's should rev about as high and about the same as a 350 and 327 respectively. You could probably get some good HP out of them, but I would think it would be more of a "It still has a straight 6" type of exotic aspect, and less functional than some other setups. If you do decide on either one of those, I would love to meet your Z in person, as a built straight 6 of that displacement is bound to sound awesome. My choice would probably be for the 230, depending on availability.

:cheers:

i need a z for you to meet first.

i have my 86 300zx but i can not put a inline 6 anything in that.

i was thinking about a 3.8 gn motor.

my car definetly havs the look but not the power

i have seen a 305 conversion near where i live in an 84 300z and it looks like crap! i hate how it fits in there. and there is no where to run a dual exhaust. with out a ton of modification.

i love my z to death but it's power everything except the saets now i replaced them with corbeau's

it's a naturally apserated also the only mods i have done is in take and i have the exhaust custom made cat back from stainless.

i just want something i can put a real motor in.

and i rather stay with the Z's i have had 3 and liked them all.

i have started collecting parts for my 350 (4 bolt)

i have, i just picked up a nice aluminum intake yesterday.

i just got the urge to TURBO something. all i deal with is turbo's all the freakin time i sell'em on ebay and i have yet to have a turbo vehical.

i wanted to turbo my last ducati 748, have you ever seen how the exhaust is routed on one of those, you could never do it. with out the turbo being in your way or sticking out like a toumor

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
You would spend $1000 on valvetrain and camshaft just for 200 hp from the 292. Not to mention all of the specialized fabrication.

I dunno about that, the 292 had about 170BHP.

http://www.6066gmctrucks.org/Inline6.htm

And $1000 thrown at a head would be a LOT of work, or a LOT of wasted money. You could just about get a head fabbed for that much, I think you are over-budgeting a tad.

Also for S&G:

Chevrolet_Inline_Six_Cylinder_Power_Manual.jpg

And a similar engine to what you have in mind...

http://www.motortrend.com/future/concepts/112_0203_blazer/

i have full access to a small machine shop,

we can do most anything, port,poilsh, bore, deck heads.

we can't line bore, but this comes to mind and i thought i would share it.

we had a 350 and one of the bearing caps for the crank was warped about .0010 hmm is that right? any way 10 thousands.

so we shimed it with a piece of a soda can.

works fine to this day. it's been running for 3 years now in an old chevy appache truck.

we also put 292 rods in to a 366bb

i can't remember what the CI turned out to be. but a fella around here has got it in his 70 camero. goes like you wouldn't believe.

Maybe my numbers are off a little, but a performance cam and lifters from Clifford will be $300. Valve springs $100. $500 to rebuild a head is high, but not a high perf one. This is the same argument people have about hot rodding an L6 or doing a V8 swap. If cheap performance is the goal, I still think this is the wrong way to go about it.

• 2 weeks later...

well i think i have decided to go with the 250

i think it may fit under the hood better, and they crank better.

i was at the yard today i got the exhaust manifold and fuel manifold off the head. i'm taking the head from one of the 292's

i have been told they where the same as the 250's

with an exception of the some of the older 250's i believe 64cc not sure if thats right.

so i guess i'm going back tomorrow to finish up.

what about the OHC sixes that made their way into the tempests, firebirds and camaros? I have hear that those can pump out the ponies if you can get the valve trains to stay together. just another thought.

McAdam

i'm trying to stay with a common engine so cost will stay down.

i have never seen one of these engines your talking about.

turns out my dad has a 250 he might just give me. i just found that out this morning. the truck was in a fire but i think i can resurect the engine.