HybridZ

Sbc ful length headers

ZROSSA

Howdy,

Has anyone found any full length headers that fit the sbc in a s30 yet? The big problem for me is getting them around the steering column. This is on the right side on cars down under. I have small block huggers on now and they just fit. It looked like some headers made for a 55 - 57 chevy with a sbc in it might work. Anyone have any better ideas. I am looking at 1 5/8 or 1 3/4 ones. Btw my car is set up sort of half way between a scarab and jtr set up.

Cheers

Douglas

S&S headers http://www.ssheaders.com:

Part # 5205 : SB 1-3/4" Full Length

Chevy Headers SB 1-3/4' Long Hugger 1927-34/ 1935-48 Fat Fenders with Rack & Pinion /1962-67 Nova with Rack & Pinion Steering/Straight or Angle Plugs/240/260 Z Datsun with Small Block Chevy -Raw

Price $296.20

Fits JTR and Scarab.

https://ssl5.mysecureserver.com/bosstoolscom/store/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idproduct=250

Cool.

Thanks Ryan. You still in Atlanta? Looks like I might be heading that way in april.

I forgot to ask. Do you have these headers? If so how close to the block are they on the right hand side? Are they true equal lenght? What are the collecters like, Pressed, welded up, similar to a merge collecter? Wonder if I can get them withot collecters? Better e-mail S and S, eh!

Douglas

no prob, man. yup, still in atlanta. i have these headers, but they are not installed at the moment. the collectors are welded on, but a friend of mine bought his set uncoated, modified the collectors, and had them coated afterwards. they aren't equal length.

here's a shot of one of mine out of the box:

fc8ace41.jpg

they're very close on both sides of the block. here's what they look like on an engine (though this set isnt mine):

fddba439.jpg

fddba419.jpg

good luck!

I've been looking for headers to use on the LT1 I'm in the processing of installing my 73 240Z. Will these work? I'm guessing all I have to do is use a good set of exhaust gaskets to seal to the D ports on the LT1, right?

I have iron heads with straight plugs.

Has your friend installed them in his car yet? How close are they to the steering rod on the left and frame rail on the right? What about access to the starter, oil filter and slave cylinder for a manual tranny?

From the pictures it looks like the right one hangs an inch or so below the oil pan, is this correct? Some aspects of the pictures are a little hard to see clearly.

Thanks again. The photos are a big help. They will do the trick. I just did a deal with a paint and body guy and the z is off to have its new body kit made up and get painted so I need to get a move on other bits. How far off equal length are they?

Douglas

wheelman, they will work with your lt1, no problem. a good set of gaskets and you're good to go. i also highly recommend stage 8 locking header and collector bolts. is your setup jtr or hooker? the reason i ask is that depending on your car's ride height, they may be a little lower profile than you want them to be if you're using the jtr kit.

my friend has had his set of headers that were in the picture on about 4 different engines with great success at the drag strip (a best of 6.88 seconds in the 1/8th mile with a 400 sbc). now he's going for smaller 6's with those same headers. as far as clearance with the steering arm, his car is a '71 with the hooker/scarab kit, and they are about an 1/4" away from his steering arm. he does have a few marks on the headers from the steering arm touching during some of his high-torque moments. my friend and i both use high torque mini-startes and have had no issues with header clearance. for oil filters, we use the 1/2 quart k&n.

sorry the pics aren't so clear. the passenger side header does indeed hang a little more than an inch lower than the driver's side.

they aren't equal length primaries, but they are pretty close. for instance, on the driver's side, the 3rd and 5th cylinder primaries are basically the same length, but the 1st and 7th are a few inches longer. they are close enough for gov't. work and having fun, though 8)

Ryan,

I'm using the JTR setup. When I looked at the pictures I noticed the rigth side header seemed to be about 1 inch below the oil pan which is a clearance concern. I think I'll stick with the shorty block huggers, I just haven't decided which to use yet.

I'm not building my car to drag but as more of a canyon runner so ground clearance is something I need to be aware of. I'm sure I'll be able to get adequate HP out the the block huggers.

Thanks for the info.

I'm gonna run the Rewarder 1 3/4 or the Sanderson 1 3/4 cast manafold... Just another option... I didn't think the S&S header would give me enough ground clearance, so I plan to go with the block huggers and my existing pipe setup...

Mike :D