HybridZ

How well does the JTR manual help for the V-8 280ZX swap

Guest 007fastZ

Guest 007fastZ

I've tried to search but couldn't really come up with anything. Im building my 350 now and was going to order the manual if it helped at all to my conversion. Thanks for the help

Chris

I have the book and I'm working on a 280ZX LT1 swap. Although, much of the information does not directly apply to the ZX, I still found the book helpful. With the exception of the radiator support, I don't think any of the parts designed for the Z will work on the ZX, so sections about making and installing the those parts will not help. The book does give a good idea of the kinds of things that need to be done in an engine swap. If you've pulled an engine before and feel comfortable about fabricating some engine mounts and a transmission crossmember, you could probably get by with the advice of members on this board.

-Jason

I agree with what Jason said. I have done the 350 swap in my 280ZX and I found the book useful because I have never done an engine swap. So it did teach me the funametals of an engine swap.

Hey Jason how far along are you with your 280ZX LT1 swap?

Guy

I agree. The manual is definitely helpful, even if you have a 280ZX, as long as you know the differences between the new and old chassis. I just converted my 81 ZX, and actually getting the motor in the car was very simple. Getting the bugs worked out of the swap has taken me 2 years...

Anyway, the motor mounts will be simple, just about 3" of spacers between the mount and the block if you use the truck style mounts in the JTR manual, and you might have to slot the crossmember hole a little. I oblonged mine out with a hand file to get the fine adjustment down.

007fastz:

I have an 83 with a SBC and 700R4 that's been running for a couple of years. The JTR manual was useful, and the non-applicable areas (motor mounts for one) were less important than the insight into the conversion process. Suggest you use the search feature on this forum to gain more insight into those general topics where it doesn't apply. You will also find very specific "problem" information to help along the way in addition to enough guys who-have-been-there to help you in about any situation that comes up. In addition to planning on spending more money than you expect on the conversion, you will also need to seriously consider suspension upgrades. For starters the OEM rear suspension will bottom out under accelleration. The opinions on how to solves that cover a broad range of solutions. One of the things I found helpful when digestiing the wealth of helpful real-world what works info, was my application. I have a 430 HP "version" used more as a street toy as opposed to serious handling. My Eibach springs and Tociko struts suit my situation very well. Other guys are happy happy with coil-overs enabling them to use even larger tires. Good luck, and do get the JTR book...

Hopefully it won't be long before I can start the engine, but I still have plenty of work to do. My engine and tranny are in place, the radiator support is basically done, and I've figured out the wiring (I hope), although its not fully routed yet. I'm waiting on a -4 hose and a roll pin adapter so I can get the clutch working. I also built a serial port to PCM connector so I can edit the engine computer's parameters and disable VATS. It seems to be working, but I have not forked over the money for LT1Edit or Tunercat yet.

The biggest hurdle left is with the headers. All I have is a pile of U bends and a welder at the moment.

-Jason

I did and I saw your site too. Your car looks good! When will you have the header ready? Unfortunately, I don't think I can do the same thing on my rack and pinion setup. I was greedy and bought 1 3/4 bends only to realize there isn't much room. I'm planning on routing 3 tubes in front of the steering shaft, and 1 behind it. THe last one will have to be flanged so I can detach the tube to make header installation possible.

As an alternative, i'm toying with the idea of routing the headers forward towards the front of the car ala twin turbo V8 style. Either way, it'll be the same amount of work, but I get the feeling routing the exhaust forward could mean bigger power gains one day. :twisted:

I don't know though. I was planning on putting my AC compressor there.

-Jason

My step-dad took it to work to have one of his welding buddies do the finishing welds on it like 2 weeks ago but since my step-dad has been on vacation for the last 2 weeks he hasnt talked to him to see if its done yet. After I get it back I will be sending it immediatily to "Jet Hot Coatings" to be ceramic coated.

Have you checked out "Ross C." site? He made an "adapter" of some sort for the 280ZX's with the power rack & pinion so that he could use block huggers. Altleast I know he made some kind of adpater thing for headers on a 280ZX.

Guy

Guest 007fastZ

Thanks for all the info. I went ahead and ordered the book. Sometimes this site really amazes me. I never really thought there were so many people with hybrid z's out there.

Thanks

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a post on the forum were you can do a small block conversion for the ZX but what engine and trans. would you be able to use for the conversion John's Cars has for sale on the ZX?

In soundig like a idot, what's SBC stand for? What size block would I be able to use for the MSA. Guy, what would you recomend using for a engine and tranny swap w/ the MSA kit?

SBC stands for Small Block Chevy.....283, 302, 305,327,350,383,400(Im sure there are more but those are the main ones)

Now as far as engine choice it all depends on what you want out of your car....

1.) Are you a EFI guy or a Carb guy?

I went EFI because I never learned to much about carbs because they arent in use now on production cars, so we didnt go in depth about them when I was in Tech School for Automotive Technology

2.) Do you want a reliable street car that is fast?

Go EFI. It is much easier to keep the car tuned once you have it tuned to were you want it.

3.) What kind of power are you looking for?

300HP....400HP....or even 500HP?

4.) Will this be a auto cross car/street only/drag car?

This will play an important part in engine choice. If you want to auto cross it then I say go LS1, due to the fact that it will keep the weight down. If your going street car then I say LT1 or carburtated if you like carbs. The LT1 fits in the ZX like it was ment to be, it has the low profile intake so no hood clearancing is needed, distributor is on the front of the engine so you dont have to worry about any issues with the firewall clearance, plus its EFI. If your going drag car only then I say find a way to stuff a BBC(Big Block Chevy 427, 454, 502, etc)

Like I said it all depends on what you want and what you know about certain engines. Remember that engines like the LT1 & LS1 are more expensive than a carburated engine, however in the long run I think an EFI engine will pay for it self due to the fact that they are easier to tune and stay tuned.

Guy

In soundig like a idot, what's SBC stand for? What size block would I be able to use for the MSA. Guy, what would you recomend using for a engine and tranny swap w/ the MSA kit?

SBC = Small Block Chevy Gen 1 is 283ci to 400ci. Gen 2 comes 5.7L or about 350ci.

The engine and tranny choice is up to you, depending on what you want the car to do and what you want to do with the car. That also determines (sometimes) what transmission you'll use. Money is also an issue.

Davy

I want a drag/streetble car (dont mind the noise) car putting out 300-400hp would be good I do plan on a turbo after the transplant, as for EFI ... only way to go, I do build motorcycle (Indian Antiques) and on my CBR F3 I had such a hard time tuning the Carbs (running Staged NOS 9.98 ET@146mph) but most of my buddys w/ EFI systems can quickly map there engine w/ out having to take carbs off on off ect... as for the tranny I dont mind a auto if it make the a bit ezR unless a manual set up is not to hard, it nice to double clutch and break the tires loose. So I guess a LT1 EFI w/ a ....transmission that would work ?

Well putting a T56 in my 280ZX wasnt too hard. I had the 3 speed auto in it before with L28, so I had to mount a pedal. That was the hardest part of putting a manual tranny in it.

I use my car for 90% street and 10% track(havent had it at the track yet but this year I will be going) so I went with a T56 manual tranny because I like to shift my own gears. Now if your more serious about drag racing then obviously go with a auto tranny(4L60E....electronicly controlled 700R4 basically)

Guy