HybridZ

Heater Question...again

georgiaz

I removed both control valves from the heater on the 280 and after doing no more than running some hot water through them and working them a few times, I now have heat. They did not appear to be cruddy or clogged at all. I guess they just wanted some attention. Now one of them is leaking in the right side floor board. Is there any reason I shouldn't just do away with them and run the heater hoses directly to the heater core or would that mean that I have constant heat?

Thanks for the reply Sup. I looked at it again today, but could not see where it was leaking from. None of the hoses or connections are wet now even with the car running. I will just keep an eye on it for a few days so maybe I can figure out where its leaking. Which of the two valves typically goes bad? The vacume operated one or the lever operated one?

I don't remember my 240 having a vacuum one. Been awhile since I replaced it. I do remember living with wet carpeting for months before I finally replaced the mechanical valve. I also remember the valve didn't leak when it was fully closed (I think) but only when partially open. Also the clue that it was leaking was all the green stains on the outside of the valve body. The valve itself never seemed wet.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't mean to piggy back your thread, but I am trying to get my heater working in my hybrid. In the swap, I removed too much stuff (like the little vacuum modules and the wiring for it in the engine bay). Anyway, can I bypass teh vacuum controled heater valve some way or do I have to figure out how to put all that stuff back together?

I removed all the stuff under the hood. The vacume for the heater consists of one vacume line to the carb. I'm inclined to suspect the mechanical valve is the one leaking simply because it has moving parts. Neither valve is ever wet, but that one does have some stains on it.

Earlier in the post someone stated that if the valves were bypassed or left open "it would mean constant heat" If the big flap is in the cool position doesn't it route the air away from the heater core all together?

Spent all summer getting the ac working...now I'm cold :lol:

If the big flap is in the cool position doesn't it route the air away from the heater core all together?

yeah, but on hotter days you are going to feel that hot 'seepage' rolling out of heater box. I several early 80's v8 cars that constaly seeped hot air in the middle of the summer, not cool :lol: