HybridZ

Seat delimma after roll cage install

J Taylor

Now that my z has a roll cage I have been having a hard time trying to find some seats that would fit. I really don't want a fixed position race seat as this is still going to be 90% street car. After 6mo of mulling it over I finally broke down and bought a pair of recaro SE's. They don't even come close to fitting. The hoop is totally in the way. The cage is from S&W BTW and the hoop doesn't fit very close to the body. There is a good bit of space which is what is in the way of the seat. Has anyone else ran into this problem after putting in a cage? I guess my next option is to either put some stock seats(god forbid) in the car if they will still fit or try some miata seats maybe. I really would rather not do either of these except as a last resort. ANyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

JT

Hmmmm...hate to state the obvious, but you put the cart before the horse here. Esp. with the S&W kit, you need to build it around the seats that you choose. Now that I'm done stating the bloody obvious, the only things I can suggest:

1: Search the seat manufactures sites for narrow seats. Try the Scat ones.

2. Disassemble your rollcage and widen it.

When I did my main hoop, I actually stretched the hoop out quite a bit, just to give it that extra little bit. I also have my seats almost right up against the tunnel.

Hope that helps out a bit....

Tim

You might check out the porsche 914 seats, narrow, light fiberglass. They dont offer too much side to side support, but they can probably be modified. I picked up a pair off ebay for $20.

The other thing for more lateral support might be to modify the stock z seats.