HybridZ

need help on picking exhaust system for a 280zx

CUBAN

i want to replace my whole exhaust system, i also want to get a high flow cat. converter, also i saw a 280zx with dual exhaust and was wondering if this was a custom set-up or not, it looked really nice. i would like dual exhaust on it. also its a 1981 280zx N/A

thanks

alex

A few questions and observations:

How loud do you want it?

How much do you want to spend?

What type of driving do you do/contemplate using the car for?

For an NA car, I would have a 2.25" mandrell bent system put in with a DynoMax muffler.

2.5" is overkill on an NA, and (this point has been hashed around a zillion times already), 2.5" causes unnecessary droning in the exhaust system and adds weight.

If out and out top end is your goal, then 2.5" is ok.

Guest smoov280zx

Definitely get on made man, if the shop is good, it will be much better than any premade one you would order. My shop guarenteed it not to rattle, so that was worth the $150 for the job, hopefully your's will do the same. I like the magnaflow muffer, but i think it's about the same as the dynomax. I also got the 2.25 and am very happy with it since the engine is pretty stock.

well we and my dad are thinking of going turbo' date=' any suggetions for the exhuast?

thanks

alex[/quote']

Get the turbo first. Don't try to make an exhaust suitable for a turbo before you get the turbo engine installed.

Why? Because the turbo downpipe dumps in a different position than the n/a, and you will have to re-do the exhaust for the turbo.

Guest BigWhyteDude

I dont know here but i have seen an oval shaped exaust system on a car before. Other than a little bit of ground clearance what would the gains from this be over 3" mandral bent pipe??? Is it more expensive???

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

ok me and my dad are going to stay with the N/A engine. so i should go with the 2.25 exhuast right? what type of muffler should i go with? what type of high flow cat. conveter should i go with, brand wise? we're looking to spend no more than 500, including the headers. does any one know of any good muffler shops in the TORRANCE, CA area?

thanks

alex

ok so you say i should go with the DynoMax UltraFlow muffler right? ok how about a high flow cat. converter? and what about headers? my whole exhuast is rusted so i wanted to change it all out. and its a 1981 datsun 280zx incase i forgot

thanks

alex

i would think that he MSA headers they have would be better.. plus last time i looked they were cheaper too.

thats kinda pricey for a header on a L6... i could be wrong though

mike

i would think that he MSA headers they have would be better.. plus last time i looked they were cheaper too.

thats kinda pricey for a header on a L6... i could be wrong though

mike

its about a 20 dollar difference

http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=15-6011CH&Category_Code=PEC03

but i'll porlby go with the MSA headers

thanks

alex