HybridZ

colorizing ( finishing ) 3003 H14 Aluminum dash

Ferd/289

I fabricated a dashboard of 3003 H14 Aluminum for my 280Z. At first I was thinking of polishing the material, but now I think I will paint it a dark color so It does not reflect sunlight while I drive. Any suggestions or pics of colorized aluminum? and what the process would be? I dont want to powder coat it as I think it would be too tough to do.

Ferd

Powdercoating has become relativly cheap and easy and id say it would be a good durable choice. I would think spray in bedliner would be good. Not the cheap 3m stuff but something like rhino liner or the sem version. The cool thing about the bedliner is you can buy the tintable version and it can be mixed with any urethane or lacquer paint for custom colors. That is what I would do. Good luck

Guest Zachb55

yeah, i would also advocate using the SEM bedliner which you could tint to match your interior scheme if you wanted, or just stick with black. i dont think the liner would be sticky or too rough, it would make for a nice durable surface and you really wouldnt need to buy very much of it.

-Zach

Sand blasting aluminum gives it a really intersting texture, I saw this used on some aluminum tubing and it gave it a really even almost satin finish. I'm not sure if this would work with sheet aluminum or if its too thin. To get it to be a different color I would definately have it annodized.

I went to the parts store and picked up a can of the DupliColor 'anodizing' spray paint. I half heartedly prepped a piece of scrap aluminum and painted it. It comes out really nicely.....looks just like it was anodized!!

Good stuff...thanks for the suggestion Ernie!!

BTW, I got Purple. The only bad thing is that they don't make it in black :roll:

Tim