HybridZ

do I have solids or what?

Ferd/289

Not sure if my race prepped engine 289/350HP has solids. The rockers do not have what I am familiar with when you do have solid lifters, ie. adjuster stud and nuts on the rocker pedistal. Some Ford freaks tell me most 289 from the 60's ( mine is 1966 block with 88 5.0 heads ) probably have hydraulic lifters. Also, been told I have to set valve lash with shims even if I have hydraulics. Is there a way to tell without disassembly??

Ferd

From what you've described here, I'll go out on a limb and say you've got hydraulic lifters. I cannot imagine solid lifters being used with shimmed pedistal rocker arms (but then, why would you shim a hydraulic lifter either?) I'd crank it up if possible to normal operating temperature, and then shut it down, and quickly measure the lash. There should be no lash if it is a hydralic set-up. I believe this could be check by simply rotating the pushrod between two fingers which should have some resistance on a fully closed valve on the base circle. Some folks used to set lash at zero hot (no compression of the hydraulic lifter to prevent pump up), so this may be the purpose of the shims........I just don't know. The above suggestions may not be correct as it's been a long time since I've messed with hydraulic lifters.

Guest kc280zx

take the intake off, you can pull the lifters out without taking the heads off on SBF's if you want to knwo for sure.

most definately you have a hydraulic motor, the hi-performance 289's did have solid setups though.

If you ever heard the motor run in person than you should be able to tell by just listening.

• 1 month later...

I acquired the engine after it was 'raced preped', and the builder left the state so I cannot get details. However, I did see the engine taken apart and some the race prep steps included balanced connecting rods, cam, '88 heads, custom headers, holley 450 cfm carb, etc. I am going to assume that engine has hydralics. I have not started engine as yet ( too lazy,,, too buzy.....).

thanks for the info.