HybridZ

MML OEM Z31 spec Aluminum Hubs finally available!

We're very proud to announce our new aluminum hubs are now available! They were bench engineered well over a year ago with other items seeing production priority (Xtreme brakes, Z31 adaptors, R230 adaptors). So now the hubs are fully proven, all due diligence completed exhaustively (and not without it's costs!!) and ready for enjoyment!

First hubs out of the box are Z31 OEM 'knock off' aluminum hubs. These can replace the pentagonal OEM Z31 hub in any existing install combo using this hub. All the exact functional geometry of a Z31 hub with a 240Z rear seal preferred detail, and without the excess weight and improved aesthetics(round :) ). Not a minor feat to see thru but it's been an enjoyable engineering (thermal/structural/mechanical/QA/QC) combo development process overall to satisfy the 'stout damn strong bulletproof' side and the 'gotta be light and wickedly functional' side, especially when the discussion/debate is often in your own head :) Many thanks to those that interrupted my internal design efforts and have helped us (this was a team effort, not just me!), engineers and others heavily involved in motorsports that have supported Modern Motorsports strongly in the past and contributed in many facets to this new package available from Modern Motorsports Ltd as part of our new promised lineup. This lineup renews our creative ambition (dropped somewhat in past 10 mos. during that rigorous daytime assignment done now!) and direction to fulfill unique desires of our customers and other enthusiasts that have passed on their suggestions our way. We take great pride in the engineering effort that goes into our packages created uniquely for your Z in function, appearance, and cost.

The first run of Z31 OEM 5lug hubs is fully subscribed for by customers already that have rolled them into 5 lug brake setups from ourselves. Very shortly we'll have the second CNC machining run complete to fulfill new orders we're taking at present. This run is expected to be complete within ~ 3 weeks given our present queue of work with our faithful CNC wizards.

The initial hubs are available with the OEM 5x4.5 bolt pattern, a full set of CR or BCA (top quality) bearings with races installed & seals included, as well as a set of very stout ARP 1/2" studs installed are included. After we've gone to the effort of creating such a fine piece we're not leaving it to chance for you to sweat out a proper install of the studs and bearing races :) That'll be done by a machinist using methods to guarantee a square aligned install, similar to our other 5lug hubs and stub axle stud installations. The most critical step once machining is complete. Aluminum is not near as friendly as steel for the stud (or bearing race!) installation and we want these perfect for your ideal use! Did I mention these hubs will also have a new custom aluminum dust cap to match the hub? A neat piece I couldn't resist adding to complete the package in an appropriate manner. We're also going to have the hubs anodized with Type II (HARD!) anodizing to prevent any dissimilar metal corrosion between bearings, potentially steel wheels, steel rotors of one piece design as well as any road salt/grime etc. Besides anodizing looks great and does a wicked job of preventing unwanted nicks in billet aluminum in case you slip with a wrench etc!

The price for one complete loaded-fully prepped pair of Aluminum (6061) Hubs Anodized with Hard Type II anodizing, Chicago Rawhide races pressed in, bearings included, ARP studs installed, is $369 US. We feel this is an Xtremely fair price! Many other US fabricators doing far greater sales numbers are selling wicked aluminum hubs for winston car use etc sell their's at $225/hub bare unanodized and upwards depending on specifics.

We'll be adding these shortly to our webshop but are taking the usual direct email orders on non listed webshop items as well. Our dedication to delivering on existing orders and fulfilling new requests is priorized above web updates. We'll also have these Z31 hubs available in custom bolt patterns specified by yourself at time of purchase, to suit the needs of some more unique buildups :)

Other items coming forth very shortly include our rear Xtreme PBR large OD vented 2 piece rotor Z brake system! It'll match our front Xtreme setup and make seat belt padding mandatory!

Immediately following the next Z31 aluminum hub run we'll be producing 240Z OEM hubs (by demand!), and then perhaps a 280Z OEM hub (minimal requests, let us know via direct email if of interest to you, some wilwood/outlaw brake users are in queue if it goes ahead). Their's another version we may do as well but we'll hold off on that announcement.

Our CV adaptors lineup is being expanded, Z31 (4bolt) CV adaptors will be mainstream available shortly along with R230 shaft adaptors as requested.

Enough babbles for tonight, thanks again for your support in allowing me to do something I truly love and enjoy!

Cheers,

Guest Anonymous

Ross,

I'm working on a dedicated track car right now. It will be a year or so before I'm ready for brakes and suspension. To be honest I was looking at Arizona Z stuff because of there aluminum hubs. Not any more. Your stuff is on my build list, brakes and hubs. Now can you get to work on some control arms?

Mark

so far every brake upgrade part on my car has come from ross, i can single handedly vouch for the absolutely perfect fitment of everything and the fit and finish is superb. i dont think ive ever spent so much money in one place for Z parts in my entire build, and ive done it without a single doubt, i cant wait till i can finally bolt some 5 lugs on my car. Great work Ross, and thanks for your support of the HybridZ community !!

I would also like to mention that im opening up my own shop in a few months, it will be a small custom fabrication shop. Once ive aquired most of the equipment i need, and im satisified with the fit and finish of my work i will be offering thinks like control arms. I would love to be able to support this community as Ross does. (dont worry i dont intend to compete with you Ross)

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

Definately awsome. Its great how you are supplying these items in vast variety and keeping stock or taking time to do them. I will be contacting you for some parts Ross.

Juanito

I think the price is totally 'bargain basement' for the quality, Ross. From what you said, you really have gone to some great legths to make this work! :2thumbs:

I would have gone this route, but I already have the CCW's in a 4-lug pattern :? Perhaps in a future Z project for me?

The bolt pattern appears to be a Ford/Nissan/Toyota 5 bolt pattern which would allow a myraid of aftermarket wheel possibilities, especially ones with more negative offset for our RWD cars. Then it would be possible to buy wheels much more cheaply then to have CCW or similar companies make them in custom offsets. Someone can be money ahead by buying these and then buying some of the more common RWD wheels available; excellent :D Wide wheels for flared cars are no longer a large cost issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Props, Ross! :cheers: You are a real enthusiast--thanks for looking out for the Z car community :D

Davy

Guest 73TPIZ

Ross,

amazing price. i was going to the junkyard for some '86 hubs last week and thought i'd stop by the import only store and see if they could get 'em. they wanted $340+ for the pair and that's without bearings!

he was talking on the phone to the supplier and said "17199". when he hung up the phone i said i hope that was a part number and he said no that was the price each. :shock:

OK, OK, OK, price just doubled :D kidding!

Thanks for all the kind words fellow members! Some very warm words and much appreciated. Helps make the late nights, some sorta sleepless designing a lot more rewarding. I often don't see the customers cars/experience their results and its the feedback/support like this that is a great 'extra'.

Davy, the upcoming aluminum 240Z hubs will suit your needs :-D and will compliment your CCW wheels very nicely! Nothing like dropping weight while boosting performance, less polar moment of inertia/quicker torque/easier braking.... Charles, those were new OEM cast hubs without bearings or studs I'm assuming? OEM has a healthy markup on it, no doubt about that!

Interesting comments on the quality/cost. Touches a familiar spot with me as I'm ALWAYS searching the limits of most any design detail and will eventually frustrate the machinists as my nature is to explore each limit and only timely efforts with them allow this. They appreciate the purpose but that doesn't mean they have endless patience :roll: This attribute likely explains the restless sleeps conjuring up new ideers to sharpen a pencil on and bring to availability.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Finally up in our webshop!

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=59

5lughub3.jpg

They've been going out the door and I finally got to listing them up!

We're very proud of how they turned out, fully anodized in hard black with custom dust caps and our logo! Prepaid orders have and will continue to be filled at the above noted $369. Material prices have risen notably since our last runs and thus our web price reflects an adjusted price of $415. Still VERY value oriented considering the engineering/machining/and other services/parts included as noted in webshop description.

We'll do other geometries as demand warrants but this has been our most popular request. Not many left of our most recent run so act quick if your needs are near term (remaining prepaid orders all earmarked/don't worry your sets are outgoing!). Yet another new production run will be initiated ina few weeks. (meantime our billet stub axles and integral matching CV companion flange adaptors are underway!) Thanks again for your continued support! We haven't been posting here much of recent as we've been quite occupied responding to hybridz members requests directly. Their are some very wicked hybridz cars being built! From TT V8's to supercharged stroked V8's, you name it, we can't wait to see them completed!

Cheers,

Please excuse my ignorance here... So if you have a stock 240Z 4 lug hub then this is not a direct bolt on? This is for individuals who have already converted to the Z31? Perhaps I read your description incorrectly.

"So if you have a stock 240Z 4 lug hub then this is not a direct bolt on? This is for individuals who have already converted to the Z31? "

From our webshop info:

-very easy installation, just swap out your OEM 5lug hubs and replace with ours

-no need to source and rebuild used hubs for those swapping to 5lug

The hubs are for those already converted or who are going to convert to 5lug. If you're 4lug now, you could just swap in our hubs but you'd need then upgrade your brakes to something what goes with the 5lug hub (your OEM brake system does not bolt on/adapt with a 5lug hub).

Their's tons of info in these forums on upgrading to 5lug setups, essentially a 5x4.5 bolt pattern is typically chosen and brake system choices range from a Typical 4x4 vented system

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=48

to a number of other options including our top end Xtreme series,

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=55

You can search the forums and do some reading, as wel feel free to direct email us any questions.