HybridZ

Anyone ever install or info about RB26DETT on a Z31?

Guest miloz31

Guest miloz31

I still debating wether to install a RB26DETT or a VG33ET motor on my Z31. I know the VG would be a easier swap but the RB just has a little something exotic and unique about it, especially in a Z31. I've seen several Japanesse webpage with RB26DETT in a Z31 but its not very informative. My guess would be that I'll have to swap the stock engine mount with the 200zr engine mount so I can drop the RB motor in. Is it that easy, what about turbo clearance problems, remenber this is going into a Z31? 8) Peace

Guest 81na ZX

Well a RB26 is similar in size to a RB20, and the 20 came stock....

There might be a problem fitting the stock turbos though, you might have to go single right off the bat.

Guest FinalRights

I just got some more details on the subject. I'm not sure why,but for some reason the steering column gets in the way of the engine swap. I don't know yet if its the block itself,or maybe how the turbo sits.

Guest FinalRights

I've been looking at my engine bay,and I really cannot see where the block would hit the steering column. Maybe the manifolds or the downpipe,but not the block. Does anyone have any pictures of the RB engine with the manifolds on?

Guest FinalRights

If your 100% sure,I'm gonna go the Rb25 route,but right now I have doubts,and no money to waste really. I'm looking at either the RB25(26 cost way to much,might have to do the rb20),vg30dett,or the 13b-rew. I'd like to do the rotary,but it doesn't really have the torque for the cars weight. If I do an Rb20,I'll use the car as a daily drive for awhile,then switch up to the rb26 or maybe an rb30. :D

I'll be going the Rb20 route,I just need to find some 200zr motor mounts from somewhere. >_<

Click on this link

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=15&topicdays=0&start=25

and you'll find this by AKWIKZ

Posted: 05 Jan 2004 23:18 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have pretty much everything you might need. I have several motors, including an R32 RB20det (215hp), an R34 RB25det (287hp), and of course a couple RB26dett's. I also have brand new sets of Z31 200ZR mounts, and the all important 200ZR rear sump oil pan with pick up tube, also brand new from Nissan Japan. Pretty much all you will need is the modified driveshaft, if even that. For the RB20 with all the parts listed I'm asking $3200. Prices move up with the bigger motors of course. I'm in San Diego and am happy to ship. Let me know if you're interested.

Brian

Guest FinalRights

I now know for a fact its possible to do in a US Z31,I've seen pictures of a single turbo Rb26 in a LHD 300zx. Stony was right,the second turbo and downpipe interfere with the driveshaft,much like in the 240sx.

Does anyone know if the z31 turbo tranny will bolt up to rb series blocks? What about the z32 tt tranny? Or would I have to use the bellhousing from an rb tranny for this to work? Jed

Guest miloz31
Does anyone know if the z31 turbo tranny will bolt up to rb series blocks? What about the z32 tt tranny? Or would I have to use the bellhousing from an rb tranny for this to work? Jed

Why not just use the RB26DETT Tranny?

Guest 81na ZX

They didn't. SO you use a RB25 trans ;) They're cheap. Heck, if you bought a GT-R front clip, you could sell the 26 trans and buy a 25 trans and make a profit...

Eventhough the RB engines use the same flywheel and clutches as a VG30DE, I'm preatty sure the bell housing patterns are different. But that means a na z32 trans has the same input shaft - it'll work with an adapter plate

Guest FinalRights

After seeing what all comes with the rb clips AWKINZ's sells,they are worth the price. I thought he was just selling the clips themselves,not including the mounts,oil pan,etc. 5600 for the rb26 w/25 tranny is a nice deal.

After seeing what all comes with the rb clips AWKINZ's sells,they are worth the price. I thought he was just selling the clips themselves,not including the mounts,oil pan,etc. 5600 for the rb26 w/25 tranny is a nice deal.

Yea, I think that R34 RB25det with 280hp (same as the 26) is a sweet setup, although, I'm trying to convince myself to go ahead a get the RB26.

$5,600 huh?? I was given a $5,900 quote.... :shock: