HybridZ

All the little parts ( Nuts and Bolts)

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Guest Aguyandaredhead

So I now have a very large assortment of bolts that I removed from my 2 240's and am sifting through them picking the best of the two. I am wondering how most of you have gone about refinishing them for your cars. In past restorations I have had them Teflon coated but my guy has decided that it is too much trouble to blast and hot wash all the little parts. So i am now considering Cad plating or maybe just replacing with all allen head grade 8 (susp) and grade 5 for the rest all new stock. That sounds really expensive though. So any ideas you have on how you finished yours please share with us. I am somewhat against just painting them because of the usual occurance of chipping when you tighten them..

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

First of all, Welcome to the site! Good to see another OKIE on the site :-D .

Is the zink flaking off, or do you want to color match all your hardware?

If your car is going to be a daily driver you could just get a can of chemclean and dip them in that over night, cheap parts washer.

Anything more than that would be overkill unless you are wanting to build a show car. You are right, it would add up in a hurry if you did all your nuts and bolts. You may just go with some of the most visible ones. Not sure of all the options for steel nuts as far as coating, possibly annodizing?

Good luck.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Hey Bill, It's me Jeff we were the ones talking about the Z in Coweta on hyw 51 not too long ago. Well I am building this car with a show car mentality but it is by no means going to be a trailer queen. I have used the teflon coating before with great results, that would be my prefrence so i am going to be pushing him to do this for me again. I also restored a set of triple webbers on my last car and had all the linkage and bolts Cad plated at a Place on admiral near 169 and I may talk to him as well. It is just if you sand blast them to clean them up then you must polish them before coating or they just don't look right.

Hows you project comming along? did you get the suspension all lined out?

Jeff

Hey! didn't notice your screen name, did you just change it???

Yep, suspension is complete and I have started in on the fuel cell and fuel delivery stuff. Hoping to finish that soon and get started on the dash and wiring the interior. I am sure your stuff is going to look great! Wish I had the patience to do all that. I am like already going nuts I don't have a motor yet and I want to be driving by spring! Will see how it goes. Let me know if you need any help with your car, or just some moral support. Would enjoy seeing some other local hybrid cars...