HybridZ

Neutralizing Rust

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, I have completely stripped off all layers of paint from my 240 and I am using ph-ospho-ric plus to neutralize the rust. It seems like it works at neutralizing the rust, but im not sure if the surface is ready for primer or bondo. It has turned the metal green and forms a flaky residue on the surface. As rough as it is, is it ready for bondo and primer? Are there any alternatives to this product i am using?

RacerX - some of the directions I have read said to just go over the areas you are painting with a Scotch-Brite pad and not sand.

I am sure the sanding w/80 grit will provide a lot of tooth for the paint/bondo to stick to though.

If you used the 80-grit BEFORE using the PA to get as much rust off, and then used the PA, would you want to use the 80 grit again?

Also, I heard that ideally, you would lay a primer coat on, then use poly filler, and then another coat of primer to seal the filler to avoid moisture problems. I got this from the paint store locally, and was referring to using DP primer both times.

I know Bondo is probably the most generic of all fillers, and I heard Monarch makes the best. Do you have any preferences, and is what I was told true about using the filler?

Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks guys, Brad-ManQ45, should i go over the entire body with the da sander&80 grit, to rough it up? wouldnt i get scratch marks after i lay down some primer? Your thought are greatsly appreciated. Also, i would use the search function more but i can never go back after i have read a topic. It fustrating to have to go back to the search page and re-fill the topic and forum. Sorry being lame like that. I just dont have much patience.

Nathan

Thanks RacerX, you answered my questions well! The PA I was referring to is Phosphoric Acid, which I assume your RustMort is and other products like OSPHO.

I was most interested in the treatment of the PA'd area prior to primer obviously.

The issue of the body filler and using another coat of DP over it was to seal it to prevent moisture affecting the filler. I don't know if and when time and budget considerations will allow me to be working on the car, so I have to assume I will be doing parts of it piecemeal until completely ready for the top coats, hence my worries about moisture and rust.

In my situation, I am doing a ground up, with replacment floor pans, fender patching and a rear quarter panel replacement. I will also be removing the drip rails.

I was considering using the DP series primer, which I assume will require a breathing system. My concern of course is rust. After doing/welding each area, I want to coat it with something to prevent rust.

You have stated that you like the POR15 product, and I was considering this for the underbody, but would DP be better? Is there a non-CA product (single stage) that would work anywhere near as well as the DP from PPG that I don't have to worry about carciogens?

Thank You SO MUCH for your willingness so supply us with your expertise.

:)

Brad

Not so much of a concern, but the best way to guarantee a lasting solution.

I ran across that site a while ago and am glad you like it. I was wondering what paints could be used over this as a top coat, assuming I were to use this as a primer/anti-rust coating while the long process of bodywork goes on...

OK...Rubberized undercoating...

Cost is not a factor here - I intend to do this right and avoid all hassles in the future. An engine or rear-end is nothing to redo, but this body sheisse should only have to be done once and forgotten. I'll mechanically play with this 'till I die, but don't want to deal with rust again.

I'm not complaining mind you. I bought this car to do exactly this. I only want to do it once is all...

I will profess my ignorance on its ability to prevent rust on bare metal, and am assuming that it's other qualitites are flexibility and soundproofing.

I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that you would recommend applying this over ZeroRust? Which product? 3M? I personally have used their polishing/buffing compounds and liked them, and the Roloc system you have already recommended - is there a better rubberized undercoating product?

Now as to the interior of the car, I have seen many posts about rollon vinyl products available at Home Depot and other places. Would this be the thing to do (over ZeroRust) or would the rubberized undercoating be better, or perhaps I'm way off base and you would recommend something else?

Thanks Again for imparting your wisdom!

• 8 months later...