HybridZ

Blowin' through some triples?

z-ya

I wanted one of those badly during my tennure in Japan. Unfortunatelt it was 100,000 yen, and that was close enough to $1000 for me to say "knock it off". So I went over to the local speed shop, and did just that. Made my own, which worked much better than the 2X4" aluminum box tubing I subsequently replaced it with...

Why? I didn't pay attention to the sloped end on that tank. If you don't slope the tank, and simply make a big rectangular box with pressure baffles in it, it knocks a corner on the inside of the hood... BAH!

Afterwards I learned the EFI route was much better. Much Better...

How cool is that ? I saw that HKS vintage airbox on EBAY and watched the auction,it ended at 255.00$ or so.The only reason I paid any attention to it is that I'm just now finishing -up an "old school Blow through on my 260-Z (small-bumper )Triple 44mm Solex/Mikuni's, and I'm making the "pre-box out of Aluminized carbon fibre' with machined billet flanges and a Turbonetics "Godzilla" blow-off valve I had on the shelf,.

I had mocked it up in other materials to try it out and man it was loud :shock: and beasty ! :twisted: You guy's oughta try it just for an old twist/new twist.

I've got several 1st gen Z's ,and just wanted this one to be a little edgy compared to the others.So its got 15x9 Centerlines I bought new in the late 70's but never used.Also ZG flares and some special hood grilles,fender vents.Scarab rear deck spoiler and dual upturned stainless exhaust ,etc,etc.

sorry to ramble on, I just Love these cars !

Vince :P

I was the winner on that auction. It arrived today via UPS. I finally have the final piece to my system built in 1986!

FINALLY!

Actually the twin inlets were made for twin turbo flowrates. RS Okinawa had one of these on 50MM OER carbs making 444HP to the rear wheels.

I will be media blasting it and recoating it with the original Krinklepaint. It is a fairly rough casting externally, and the krinklecoating helps conceal that fact.

I now am absolutely convinced the internal pressure baffle/diffuser was the key to the success of my first design, as this box is not just a box, but has a diffuser panel cast within it, allowing for better flow into each carb entrance. The downfall of my second design.

Vintage, if you want some photos, let me know, and I can take some this weekend and forward them to you for your buildup. I think I have both my other tanks fairly accessible for showing how different they were from this box!

He he he! I won the auction, I won the auction! :D:D:D:D:D

Tony D's the winner !What a small world we live in now that we have Ebay and Hybrid-Z ! And yes to the pix Tony,love to see tour fab. If this old timer can ever figure out how to load pix to this site :oops: ,I;ve certainly got some butes' to show,I may have to e-mail them direct to you.Your going to like this Aluminized air box tony :) .The carbon fibre' is stiff and silver and will hold boost great I'm sure.

What are your plans as far as fuel for your new vintage find? Triple carbs or IBT's ? :?:

....Vince

for now, it will sit in the shed.

I have the triple mikuini setup for it along with the JDM manifold HKS sold, and the JDM fuel pressure regulator....everything to restore tehcarbs to their old glory.

But alas, I have been bitten by the Megasquirt bug, and this was an opportunistic diversion! I will use it eventually, but for now, am busy wiring a 260Z 2+2 for a turbo megasquirt-n-spark setup.

When that is done, I'm either going with the turbo for my 62 microbus, or restoring the turbo corvair to running condition, with real fuel control!

Somewhere in there, I would like to get the black car with the turbo running like back in the day.... Maybe that will be the next project---I know that one forward and backward, and know all I need to do to rework it. Several months ago a set of HKS Throttle Bodies were sold on E-Bay, and I though "nah".... Now I kick myself as those would be SERIOUS old-school leading edge technology convergence circa 1985! It would represent state of the art for aftermarket power for that time. Which is the era where I built 'ole Sharkie the first time!