HybridZ

New computer

Guest kc6wfs

Just got my new computer today.. Dell 2.66 gig, 512 ram. 80gig hd. DVD/CD RW Wireless G 15.1 LCD laptop.....

This is cool kicking back in bed typing this.... :oops:

ouch....

My wife is not to keen with this up here....

Got to go...

Dave

:cheers:

lol i know what you mean. im on a wireless laptop. its badass.

i stay in bed with the laptop watching tv. sooooo the life.

also it sounds like you got a badass computer there.

mike

Laptop's do have their advantages, but if you wanna play some serious games you need a desktop. Also I work in the industry and let me warn you - make sure your wireless setup is using encryption, because with security problems of XP and wireless your neighbor could be browsing your computer. I have seen several people not enable WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) because thats the default on most wireless setups and have lots of problems with people trying to hack into their computers and mess around with stuff. Also you dont want your neighbor using your internet! Sounds like a decent setup, Dell's arent bad systems, but I have seen a few that if you apply any pressure on the LCD screen when its closed it can come in contact with the keyboard and ruin the screen so be very careful about that. It happens because you put a laptop in its case and then put something on top of the case and it apply's the pressure. The ones that I have seen like that were not convered under warranty - so a word of caution. Anyways enjoy the new machine.

Guest Phailure
I just got me a new puter too.

brand new mac g5 dual 1.8 gig with a 160 gig hard drive 1 gig of ram.

i can finaly be proficient' date=' while still surfing the internet[/quote']

mmmmm gig of ram... thats the good stuff!

The Radeon 9600Pro w/ 128mb would be nice .

I have the Mobility Radeon 7500C with 64megs.

It's cool I have it set up for 2 screens. Bought a 2nd LCD and run both right now when the laptop is up in the computer room.

So far this laptop rocks!!!!!!

My other "home" computer is a dell 2.4gig, 1 gig ram, 200 megs internam and the rest is external HD's.

The town I live in is somewhat small, but still I'm not that trusting.

Also file sharing is OFF on all computers.....

Dave

Guest bastaad525

dude... historically no matter WHAT you put in a laptop, they just dont seem to work that great for games, or 3d games to be specific. They're getting better, for sure... and can run them reasonably well now (but this is a RECENT trend) but still... you take a laptop and a desktop with numerically equal specs, same CPU speed, amount and speed of ram, and video card specs, etc, and I guarantee you the desktop will FAR outperform the laptop every time.

I've been building PC's for 4 years now... also a friend of mine is big into that, we actually just had a big discussion about this yesterday. We both believe that it's not any particular add-on or uprgrade component of the laptop that is the problem... the CPU, RAM, and video card can all be very close to a top'o'the line desktop spec, even many times dead even with, and still not run nearly as well. I think it's the laptop motherboards and possibly the way the BIOS on them is set up. I have heard 'rumors' of people going in and either tweaking factory BIOS or writing their own BIOS for a laptop and coming back with desktop level performance.

If your willing to spend the bucks then you can get a laptop to a very close level of desktop gaming machine, but why not spend 1/2 the money and get something better?

bastaad: One of the reasons why a laptop will never perform the same is Laptops have much stricter standards for physical size, heat and power consumption. With a Desktop PC you have almost none of those issues to deal with. Also Desktop PC's are not limited to sizes of fans, so usually several larger fans at a lower rpm are put in rather then the smaller fans they cram into laptops. Also HD rpm in a desktop system is higher so all specs the same the desktop will still perform better. Quite often they scale the CPU mhz back to make the system run cooler, quiter and consume less power, as applications need more power the cpu speed increases, not a big deal if your plugged into a wall socket because this 'feature' isnt usually on when your charging the battery, but i dont like my gaming performance effected because of low battery.