HybridZ

Converting to carbs?... intake idea

datsunlover

I was draging my butt through this afternoon, and my mind went of on it's own for a bit... started thinking about building a custom intake manifold to run twin carbs. (sort of a backup plan if I can't get the FI fixed/working properly) I've heard not so good things about the aftermarket 4bbl intake, like starving #1 and #6, and generally running rich/poor. So I thought.. why not something similar, but with twin 2bbl carbs? I don't think it would be too difficult to build.. or even mod/hack up the stock FI intake? Here's what I'm thinking; A block off plate (for the throttle body) and some holes tig'd up (injector bungs) than mill a flat on the top ot the intake, and dril/mill out the 'footprint' of the carbs. I would think this would be easier to balance the air/fuel, and probly be a better matched setup on a 2.8L, compared to a huge 4bbl. Im gona do some reserch on carbs and so on, but does anyone have any thoughts about this?

• 2 weeks later...

If you used the stock 280z fi intake and put carbs on top of that, you'd end up with carbs sticking out of your hood! If you realy want to go carbs, why not go for the tripple setups available? Those probably have the most even fuel delivery to each cylinder (without starving any of them).

Of course I still think that carbs are inferior to fuel injection, especialy when fuel injection can be hooked up to aftermarket ecu's and be tuned out... My opinion.

Well to put my .02 in now... I've had both. EFI and Triple Webers. The webers look awesome, reliable, simple, but still expensive.

The EFI, hard to understand, but very rewarding when you do, looks messy, not too reliable atleast not OEM 25 year old ones.

All and all it really depends on what you want. I personally love the way the carbs sound and that in itself is enough to make me keep them. However, if i was going turbo or higher performance i would go back to EFI and use aftermarket ECU's

-Ed