HybridZ

GM Ram Jet 350

I have some interest in this motor too. The total height of the plenum is 9 3/4" above the top of the block.

I'd like to hear what Grumpy has to say about it. I wonder if the ECU is editable. About $4800 and comes with a 12 month warrenty.

Cool looking set up.

EDIT:

I just went out and compared the measurement to my tpi manifold. The Ram Jet is about an inch taller but should clear the stock Z hood with room to spare, about 2" on average.

I looked into that before I went with a carberated application. The motor & electronics were designed for a marine application. I have read a number of posts on various boards about the RAMJET 350 and everyone had issues with black exhaust smoke...running rich on & just off idle. There are a couple places you can send the ecu unit out to be worked on but the lack of being able to reprogram with a laptop or other hand held device & the responses from automotive users turned me off on this application.

I have read they took some shortcuts to make the installation so simple (rumored to be one wire hook up, and I think the ecu mounts right on the engine). But one big issues is there is no O2 sensor, thus no closed loop mode. Supposedly there are aftermarket kits which will add a closed loop mode.

I am planning to use a LT1 intake, converted for distributor setup (drill the big hole) and run megasquirt/spark on my spare 71 sbc, with some nice heads. Don't have anything to put it in yet, but it will be a project for experimentation with MS/S....

Tim

LT1 seems to be the way to go in this case, especially if you want to add boost along the way. I am convinced of this and will go LT1 when the time comes, unless there will be cheeeep LS1 stuff in the near future. Haha, I can't believe I said that.

Davy