HybridZ

Coilovers for under $100 Project including Beer W/Pictures

I went in an around about way coming up with this project. I really could not afford the cost of the coilovers that were made for the Z. I heard that the BMW 325 had larger struts housing. After finding some on E-Bay and getting the dimensions they sounded like they would work. I bought them for around $50 including shipping. To my dismay the adjusters were too small and only the front were struts. After a year of sitting on the garage shelf I started looking at different ways to make these work. The prior owner on my z had cut the springs to lower the car and it was really to low.

Well being an ex-pipefitter I started looking at ways to build my own adjusters. Here is how I built mine. Bought two 2†electrical conduit threaded coupling and two 10†long 2†pipe nipples. I had both end of the treaded all of the way down leaving about 2†between the threads. I then cut them half and split them longitudinally. I did the same with the couplings. I tack welded a ½†nut on one side of the coupling and a 3/8†on the other for a pinch bolt. I then threaded the coupling on the nipple. To get the nipple over the strut housing I had to spread the nipple with a ½†chisel to started, Then tapped it on with a brass hammer. The inside diameter of the springs is 2.6†so it just clears the nipple threads. Adjustments is done with a large channel locks or a real strap wrench.

I know that I added to the un-sprung weigh but for under $100 total cost I really do not care.

I`ve been trying to find a cheaper alternative as well. I`m not trying to say that RossC`s are a bad deal, only that I am a cheap bastard. :D

Since I will not be racing in a forum where these things are inspected and have to meet certain specs, it really doesn`t make sense for me to dump a pile of cash when I`m sure I could find another option.

Since most of us that plan to run coil overs also plan to section the struts. Why not put the top(smaller diameter) strut section from the mister two onto the larger diameter bottom section?

Apparently the inside diameter is close since we can use the Mr2 strut cartriges.

HHrrrrmmm...I wonder why I never thought of that before? :?

• 1 month later...

From what I have driven around there is not noise at all. I went over some large dips and bumps and nothing. I did not drive on any wash board type of roads. The spring just clear the nipple threads and really have no where to move to cause any noise. Everyting is in compression.

• 4 months later...

I really have not driven it that much since I installed them. I am in the process of getting it ready to paint. But from all indications they are working out well. One modification I am planning on is building an lower perch for the spring to rest on. I do not think that I will have any problem as installed, but any mod can always be improved. And I want to remove the lower stock perch at that time.