HybridZ

anyone know of a easy-swap hybrid turbo in place of stock?

Guest Tim78zt

I got a T3/T4 hybrid (water cooled long w/ a installation kit for water cooling) from Turbonetics - the turbine was clipped and had an S-3 compressor trim.

Works well. I used my stock turbine housing. Hits lower and stronger...

Small modification to make the WG actuator work and a little time to cut down t he AFM to turbo boot and clock the turbo....

Actually since my T3T4 (from Alex Costa) was longer than the stock unit (larger compresser housing), I had to cut 1 inch of the straight section of my stock J pipe out and put a sleeve over it to keep the cut pipe together, it was easy to do (I got a rubber connecter which has a full length metal clamp from the hardware store). Otherwise the pipe is too long to go over the throttle body. I also had to adapt the boot from the AFM to the turbo inlet, since it is significantly larger on the T3T4. I used the stock turbine housing which bolted right up to the manifold and exhaust. I love the larger compressor, no significant difference in lag, but much more flow as boost and rpm builds up :D

Guest bastaad525
If you go hybrid, would you not need a new charge pipe? 3 inch inlet at least on T4 compressor housing.

that's what I always wonder. I too am thinking that my tax refund may just put a T3/04 in my future... slim chance but still a chance. But only if I can do it in a way where it basically drops and bolts in and I dont have to get stuff custom made.

Tim

They must be talking about the output pipe comming out of the turbo intake side. Which if stock would be the J pipe in our case would be the piping we ran to our I/C which in my case is 2 1/4 "and in fact I believe I had to step down connecting to my turbo intake side /outlet to 2" anyway. So may be cool with a turbo upgrade depending on what diameter is the "charged" intake /outlet? Anyone know that by chance?

Guest Tim78zt

thanks, Len! I know I have nothing on my compressed side that was 3 inches!!! So I was having a hard time understanding the terminology.

BTW, have you ever heard a whistling sound, kind of wavering or varying, while in boost? I must have a leak somewhere on the intake side.

Tim

Thanks Yo for the clarification.

Did you get that Tim; I was incorrect in my assumption...

I do remember Cody mentioning awhile back about having to replace his rubber hose with a metal 3" pipe for his AFM to Turbo connection.

With reference to the whisleing noise. At times I noticed something like that. It seemed to happen maybe when I get on it when car is kinda cold...I just sorta thought maybe turbo oil circulation wasen't lubed enough. Or that my turbo was slowly wearing out? Hasen't done that for awhile..

Hi guys!

Just a note on the AFM to Turbo pipe...

You can remove the spring in the stock pip and cut it back some, then cut the boot itself and use it (after putting the spring back in.

OK - ask me how I know...

The shop that did the coonversion did this same thing, but cut the spring too far back, so that under high boost, the boot actually collapsed and split - this was after ~30K miles.

The car would not idle for shxt, but ran ok above idle.

I went looking for a vacuum leak and found it on the bottom of the boot next to the comprressor housing. I went and got another boot from the JY and did it the right way - no more problems.

What makes this possible is that the inlet to the compressor is moved a little forward compared to stock (not much), and the bigger inlet will just match the trimmed boot.

You don't have to replace the boot with another pipe and give up the other connections....