HybridZ

Can I paint a aluminum intake? Will the paint hold up?

love-my-V8-280Z

If you have the parts bead blasted ahead of time and paint them with high temp paint, i don`t see why it shouldn`t hold up indefinetely.

The most important thing to remember when painting is to have everything perfectly clean. Paint will not stick to oil,dirt or grease.

Not only does bead blasting clean the parts, but it also gives the paint a nice "tooth" to adhere to.

back in 74, i had a stock cast iron high rise intake, painted with that black krinkle paint. it held up well, even to several gas spills, when pulling the holley spreadbore double pumper off to replace the power valves once every 3 months. manifold stilllooked fine, when i traded my 65 chevelle for a 31 chevy pick up 2 years later.

as suggested, prep is the key.

wayne

This reminds me of my younger years when I cheated the racing rules by running an aluminum intake when the stock intake was required (small town racing and rules were not enforced too rigidly). I ground up a lot of iron, spinkled it on a wet intake and let it rust. After enough "coatings" of this to make the manifold look rusty, I clearcoated it was a flat clear. I was eventually called on it, but it it was fun not so much in any gains, but just as an exercise in "creative thinking." Yes, I hang my head in shame when I think back upon the indiscretions of youth.

I did on my current intake and water pump. It sure makes cleaning easier, but gasoline does seem to soften it up (or the warm temperature, or both), so I try not to wipe it, or clean it while warm. Otherwise, the clearcoat has stuck very well. I still cannot get used to the glossy finish as I keep catching myself trying to wipe off what appears to be fluid on the intake or water pump, when in fact none exists. Especially the water pump area, "Is it leaking or does it just look like water on the pump?"

powder coating is the most resilient way to go. looks great, last just about for ever.

but, more money that a rattle can. probably not much more than a shop would charge to prep and spray it.

issue with the powder coat is ... make sure all the holes stay open, manifold to heads, carb bolt holes. sensor holes, ect. make sure none gets on the back side or inside anywhere gasoline and air travel. damn hard to remove overspray, you may end up tossing a manifold.

• 3 weeks later...