HybridZ

motor problems

Guest polarity

Guest polarity

Hey again,

I've read alot of posts in the archives about the various good/bad of different motors. Where I am I can get either of the 2 motors I've been thinking about for the same price (LT1 or 350) both running around $600 - $800

If the choice was yours, what would you do.

I'm putting it into a 79 280ZX.

Finally, has anyone found something to do with their old setup (inline & tranny) or is that pretty much useless. Somewhere to sell them to or swap parts?

Billy

LT1. I'm not sure what year 350 you are looking at, but the fuel injected LT1 makes great power and is super driveable. Rumor has it the iron heads (I am assuming yours are at this price) out flow the aluminum ones. No distributor means no hood latch mods to put it in an early Z, not sure on the ZX. If the LT1 is worn out and the other motor isn't, well... obviously get the better motor. All LT1s were roller cam motors, once again not sure on the 350 you mention. Everything else being equal, LT1 is more motor for the money IMO. It also should have the GM gear reduction starter to avoid hot start problems.

Guest greimann

While being more complex initially to set up, the LT1 would be the way to go. Hood clearance is a premium in a ZX and the LT1 style intake is very compact. Ditto on the durability of the roller cam and overall drivability. If you can, get an entire donor car so you can strip out all of those miscelaneous parts that you will eventually need. If you can't get an entire car, get as much as possible from the salvage yard as you can. Be prepared for a tight fit around the steering box. You will probably have to find the manifold I use. Casting #364747.

Guest greimann

Don't know prices, but you will be looking for a '93-'97 Camaro / Firebird. You could get one from a private seller, strip it, and sell off the remaining parts, or find one wrecked at the salvage yard.

LT1.....I am doing the same with my 80' ZX. I have a 93 LT1 and T56. If I had to do it all over again though I would have bought a 94-97 LT1 and T56 because with those the computer is reprogramable and the T56 has the .5:1 6th gear instead of the .62:1 like mine. I am now in the process of converting my engine to MAF from the Speed Desity system.(Basically making it a 94' motor). I do not have it in the car yet but hopefully I will get a good start on it this winter.

I am also curious what you guys are doing with your old inline 6's? Ebay was my first thought but I doubt it would sell. I dont think they are very highly demanded? or maybe they are but I never really see them on there to often.

That's my $.02

LT1, go to the auctions and buy a taxi or a cop car, most taxis used to be cop cars, then hog out the whole drivetrain, and those hoses, all silicone hoses, huge fans, straight beef, plus cops and taxi drivers get full service every 10k, just make sure you get the trans rebuilt, they are always faulty in those cars.