HybridZ

mustang t5 to chevy

warrenp

ohh i'm confused!

i just bought a t5 world class transmission from a mustang

i wanna bolt it to a chevy engine but the bellhousing from a chevy t5 will not bolt up. i tried one that came on a TA 2.8 i realize the 2.8 will not fit a v8 engine i just wanted to see if the bell housing would bolt up and it does not. the t5 that it was bolt to was not a world class would that make a differance?

any way i need a bell housing that i can bolt my T5 world class number 208 to a chevy 250 engine same bolt pattern as a v8

what can i get one from?

what years work?

how much should i spend?

I remember someone here - I want to say Mike C - about a bellhousing available that allows a mustang T5 to be used in a sbc. I can't remember if you needed to change the input shaft or not. Do a search, the post is out there somewhere.

Good luck :cheers:

I asked a similar question a while ago and someone mentioned that a bell housing from a 96 Camaro with a V6 would work. It was stated that the bolt pattern for the engine side was the same as the V8 and the tranny side was the same as a Ford T5. I never did really check this out because not to long after that I ran across a good deal on a GM WC T5.

Good luck with this and let us know what you find out. It would be great to find a relatively cheap way to adapt a Ford T5 to an SBC as the Ford trannies are very easy to come by and the GM units aren't, at least not where I live.

Ken W.

The Buick 3.8 or 3800 bellhousing if a BOP (Buick Olds Pontiac) pattern and will not bolt up to the Chevy. If I was buying all new parts, the brand spankin' new Ford Motorsport T5 and the Lakewood bellhousing is the way to go. For $1500 you have a brand new trans and explosion proof bellhousing.

What you will find with adapters is that they are also very expensive. You can check with TransDapt or Advance Adapters about availability for the one you want. But IMO, the steel bellhousing is a no brainer in an ultra high performance vehicle.

Here is a 1997 Camaro V6 (I'm guessing a 3.4L??) Bellhousing.

album_pic.php?pic_id=2206

It has a Ford B&W T-5 transmission bolt pattern

and BOP 90-deg engine bolt pattern.

album_pic.php?pic_id=2205

The length of the input shaft for the Camaro V6 T-5 trans is 182.1mm, the Ford T-5 trans input shaft is very close at 182.6mm.

If you added any more spacers between the engine block and trans, I don't know if the input shaft whould reach to the pilot bearing.

One option is the Mustang 3.8L V6 T-5. It has a longer input shaft at 199.9mm. Gives you about 5/8" more reach.

• 2 months later...

Just stumbled across this trivia. May be a wrecking yard part solution.

If I read this right according to Jeep engine swap sites:

T-5 from a Mustang will fit any AMC engine if you get the bellhousing from SR-4 ('76-'81), T-4 ('82-'88) or T-5 ('83-'88), and the throw out arm and bearing, from the same bell. Also the front bearing retainer is needed, gm size, (maybe gm part?), if you don't want to modify the Mustang part. Right clutch disc with the correct # of splines that also fits the pressure plate you're using, and the pilot bearing is also needed.

found it here

http://www.bit.spt.fi/antti-ville.nauha/tech/amc_manual_trannies.html

The 151 (2.5L) inline 4 engine was used in '80-'83 CJs including the CJ-8, CJ-7, and CJ-5. The 151 is often called the "Iron Duke... The engine does have the Chevy bell housing bolt pattern though. The engine is manufactured by GM and uses a cast iron block ....

The neat part about the engine is it has the same bell housing bolt pattern as a Chevy small block. The bell housing makes a great low buck Ford/Jeep to Chevy adapter since it is basically Ford on the transmission side and Chevy on the engine side. A regular Chevy bell housing will bolt to the 151, . Also, a Chevy 305 or 350 will bolt right to the Iron duke bell housing.

Found it here

http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/gm151.html

The jeep also uses a hydraulic clutch!

More trivia:

The clutch master for the Jeep is the same part as the 1st gen Z.

The hydraulic through out bearing for the 4.0L Jeep won’t fit anything else. I tried... and still have it.

Both parts are pricy.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I've been doing some researching into V8 swaps and wanted some clarification on the use of the mustang T-5 WC with a Jeep T-5 bellhousing being used to adapt it to the SBC bolt pattern.

If I understand this correctly the Jeep T-5 bellhousing bolts to the mustang T5 on the transmission side and has the Chevy bolt pattern on the engine side. So my question is what else needs to be done to make this work properly? New input shaft? Different pilot bearing?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Here's some pictures of the forementioned bellhousing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-CJ-Bellhousing-Small-Block-Chevy-Swap-76-86-t5-t-5_W0QQitemZ220480574435QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3355aa93e3&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

The input shaft for a WC T5 Mustang is 9-1/4", very close to the input shaft length of the NWC T5 Jeep trans @ 9-5/16" You shouldn't need to change the input shaft.

Might need to mix some clutch parts, I don't know if Chevy clutches are for 1-1/8". You might need to Use either a Jeep or Mustang clutch disc, (both are 1-1/8" 10-spline). That fits within the desired chevy clutch pressure plate.

For the pilot bearing, Ford T5s have 2 pilot diameters: 2.3 4 cyl. and V8, the small pilot dia. is 0.590" (the same as Chevy V8 and V6.) the large one is 0.668", this is a custom bearing, but available from hotrod parts sellers like Speedway and Summit.