HybridZ

Throw out bearing collar for 240mm clutch

Forrest

Since no one answered in the other thread, I'm making my own topic here...this is my question:

http://www.zhome.com/rnt/L28conversion/engine.html

http://www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/engine.html

Both of these sections on flywheel/clutch 240mm swaps say to use a "throw out bearing that matches the flywheel." I'm about to pull my transmission this weekend because I've been told the stock TO bearing collar was used with a 240mm clutch and flywheel. This would explain why it doesn't fully disengage all the time. My question for the rest of you guys is, will the TO bearing collar on the BW T5 in my garage (from a turbo car with a 240mm flywheel) be fine to swap in? Or do I need to order one from an s30 2+2 model instead?

-Forrest

When I did 240mm flywheel swap into my car, I bought a new T/O hub for a 2+2. When I pulled the trans out, the t/o hubs were identical in height in every way, I used the new part just because it made sense, but I really didnt have to in hindsight. The BW hub should work and the BW t/o should work, im not sure if its same clutch fork though..

It is the same clutch fork. I pulled the collar from my T5 and 2 collars from 77-78 transmissions. The collars are the same on those, and they are LONGER than the T5 collar. This doesn't make sense to me. If I'm getting less than enough throw right now, how can a SHORTER collar help me? To make sure I wasn't crazy I pushed on the fork in one of the spare transmissions from the front, the same way the piston pushes, and it moves the collar forward (towards the front of the car.) Replacing the collar that is presently in there with a shorter one would reduce the amount it is pushed forward, the same effect you'd get if you didn't push the pedal down all the way. And yet, this is what all these sites are recommending I do.

What gives? Surely there are a few people here who have put a 240mm clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel on a coupe. Please let me know what's going on.

well forrest, I highly doubt the collar is going to help. what makes your clutch almost inpossible to disengage is that the pressure plate you got takes more fluid pressure to to press in. you can go with larger bore master cylinder like custom Tilton and you can solve the problem. :D

I don't think that it is a fluid problem because when I took the slave cylinder off, the piston didn't extend any farther off the car than on it. I may have a different problem now that a shorter collar will not help with but I would still like to hear what everyone else has done when they go to a 240mm clutch. I am kind of disappointed in the lack of response - I KNOW there are more than 2 guys that have been through this. Please let me know what you did.