HybridZ

anyone replaced a tore up inner shift boot?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Just wondering.... I just recently took a peak under my center console and found that the inner shift boot is pretty much gone. Gonna order a new one from MSA, but was really wondering, for anyone who has had a bad one and replaced it, how much if any noticeable difference would it make to exhaust smell inside the car? I'm not expecting it to help as much as replacing a bad rear hatch seal would, but more just wondering if it would even if it would even help at all and is worth replacing?

Guest bastaad525

two? how do I use two just put one on top of the other? should I buy two? MSA has the one I need in stock for my 72 240....dont care about noise just want to keep cutting down on exhasut smell in the car

Guest bastaad525

ah... well to be more specific I'm actually trying to cut down on the smell of burning oil more than exhaust. I have a minor oil leak from my engine as well as a medium sized oil leak from my tranny, and the stuff gets blown onto my exhuast while driving, and burns off and fills the inside of the car with burnt oil fumes. To be honest I wouldn't have thought the inner shift boot would have had much effect on this at all, seeing as there is the regular shift boot above that, and on mine the opening at the top of the shift boot screws into the base of the shift knob so there's not really an opening there, but figured I better ask.

So it should help with that problem?

Guest bastaad525

DOH!!!

:(

Too late Tim....

was pretty cheap anyways so no big deal, got a couple of the other things I needed too while I was at it. Ordered it from MSA. Should be showing up any minute now :)

Guest bastaad525

yep that's me. really stupid how this thing keeps playing out. First I swapped the entire '81 ZXT drivetrain into my car. We pulled the engine and tranny out seperately so I could swap my ACT clutch and lightened flywheel from my N/A motor onto the turbo motor, and replaced the rear seal at the same time. Front seal and oil pan gasket looked okay so left them alone. After a month of driving a valve got stuck open for no apparent reason. Took the head and had it rebuilt, reinstalled, and suddenly the motor is burning oil, smoking like crazy from the exhaust. So, lacking funds by this point, I paid a friend of mine a pittance and he did an in-the-car rebuild. Just pulled the pistons out and replaced the rings and rod bearings. Replaced the oil pan gasket and front seal at this time. Within a month the motor was leaking from all three spots pretty badly. So, take the car to another home-mechanic, pay him some more money, he pulls the engine and replaces both seals again and the pan gasket again. Immediately upon getting the car back the pan gasket is leaking REALLY badly and possibly the rear seal again but hard to tell with oil getting all over everything from the pan. Take the car to Tim240z who generously offers to help me out for free, and find that the pan gasket is ripped all the way thru, and judging by the large gob of silicone directly over the rip, the guy knew about this when he installed it. Tim replaces my oil pan gasket for the third time and seems that problem is solved but now it's definate that the rear main seal is leaking yet again and possibly the oil pan gasket is leaking as well... again really hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. Also I found that the tranny is leaking pretty badly too, so after I get my tax refund I will take the car to a shop and have the tranny resealed and put a new rear main seal while I'm at it. Since the guys who did the previous work work from home I dont have a lot of recourse I can take other than to say "you just lost a customer" and not deal with them anymore. So now I will have to pay the much higher shop prices for things I can't take care of myself, but at least I'll be happy with the knowledge that being a shop, these guys will (hopefully) do the jobs right the first time or will rectify any post-repair problems.

anyways as it stands now it is apparent to me that it's more likely oil from the tranny that is getting onto the exhaust pipe and causing the horrible smell in the car, the pipe is pretty soaked around that area, which just so happens to be right below the hole that the shifter goes thru. My shift boot just arrived from MSA and I've got it installed, will go for a spin later and see if it helps.

Ahhh...thanks for the summary...it never ends does it...if not one thing it's another.

Here is something to consider if after you get the tranny resealed and you still have leaks which you than suspect are coming from the pan or rear seal.

Perhaps one of the previous hacks (Tim is excluded obviously :D ) damaged either the pan or the recess for the rear seal through improper removal of the old gasket/seal. If these surfaces are not "true" then no matter how good the seal is it will never stop a leak. A pan can easily be bent during removal, and a rear seal bore can be gouged if it is pryed out incorrectly.

This type of damage is hard to spot and often overlooked. If you do decide to change these seals again insist on examining the areas for yourself. Check the pan with a good striaght edge from side to side and corner to corner checking for low/high spots. Check the rear seal bore by running your finger around it feeling for gouges or pits.

Just a thought..

Rufus

Guest bastaad525

yeah Tim240z did check the spare oil pan I brought for straightness, and the surface of the block that the gasket mates too looked good also. As far as the pan goes I think it was just 'mechanic error' the last time there was that rip, the time before that it looked like the gasket had been way overtightened and was squeezing out, a symptom I only added to by torquing it down more before I was enlightened with the fact that they are only supposed to be torqued to 7ft lbs.... You may be right about that rear seal though, maybe there is some damage there... what do I do if that is the case?