HybridZ

83 turbo buildup, what all can be stripped off the intake

Guest chucklaw33

Guest chucklaw33

just wanting to clean things up, i have a stock 83 zxt motor im throwing in my 71z, i want to take some of the crap off of the intake manifold, what all can go. Any pictures

Guest bastaad525

honestly it's easier to start with an earlier intake manifold. I have one from a '75 280z and it came with like nothing on it. EGR, air valves and popoff valves and all kinds of hoses and all this other stuff that your'e probably talking about are all gone. Very clean looking. Others have taken the turbo manifold and just ground off and welded up the stuff that they didnt' want. Be prepared though, some of that stuff, if removed, WILL affect how your motor runs. Though my car runs fine when warmed up, it's grumpy and idles pretty low when it's cold. I dont have the air valve or cold start injector to help wake it up. But, I dont have to sit there and warm it up or anything, it's ready to go as soon as it's started, so I dont miss the stuff very much.

I used the turbo manifold, and am prepping another turbo manifold right now with the egr cut off and welded shut, with nothing but vacum ports and pipe plugs. The later webbed intake is safer and lets less hot air get to the injectors, which is a plus for me. I do have to prime the fuel system before I hit the ignition (aftermarket fpr), but it starts up and idles very well.

I think all I have left connected is boost gauge, brake booster and FPR vacuum hose. I will say that if you live in a cold climate like I do, not having the cold start hooked up can be a pain. Lately its been like 15 degrees and my car doesn't want to idle at all until its warmed up

G

The Turbo ECU enriches the mixture while cold via the injector pulsewidth, there is no cold-start injector. What you are experiencing on cold warmup if you do not have an air bypass solenoid or AAR bypass is just a very rich mixture until it warms up. It's the round thing with water lines that sists on the manifold just behind the throttle body with the big 15mm hoses going to it.

It should actually handle boost pretty well when cold being so rich! :lol:

Incidentally, the JDM market Fairlady 280Z(X) had no cold start injector either, they used a stepper motor on the bottom of the throttle body to control total air bypassed at idle regardless of temperature. Pretty advanced, and probably accomodated because the Japanese emissions requirements wer much more stringent from 75 to 81 than even California! They got all the cool stuff in Japan!