HybridZ

Tech Edge Wideband O2 kit completed!!

Guest Peyman88zxt

Guest Peyman88zxt

I finally debugged and bench tested it. Its a pretty cool unit, but takes some soldering skills. I guess if you have assembled megasquirt then you should be able to do this one too. Once all this snow stops then I'll be able to install it and actually do some real tuning. After it was all said and done it ran about $280.

My wideband O2 page

:2thumbs: That is probably the coolest DIY project that I have seen on this site.

It has many different outputs that you can use. One is for the use with the display, another is a simulated narrowband sensor output, a

linear wideband 0-5V output and a raw uncalibrated output.

So basically this thing will run your LCD numerical display that comes with it (is that an RJ-45 connector?), run a stock O2 sensor feed with the simulated narrowband channel or a wideband feed on newer engines, and then plug it in to your laptop when your done!

Again, that looks like a great project. How many hours did it take you to complete your assembly?

Oh, it's even better than that!

The switchable narrow band output is user configurable for any AFR.

So if you aren't running a catalyst (on an early vehicle for instance) there is no need to stick with the catalyst-dictated 14.7 AFR, and you can configure something more along the lines of 15.8 and REALLY see an increase of gas mileage during cruise!

Cooooool!

Did the $280 include the sensor and cable as well?

Let me know how satisfied you are with this unit once you test it. :) I've been seriously considering getting a wideband sensor to use with my programmable EFI system.

I need to know two things in particular:

1) What are the logging abilities on the computer and are you satisfied with them? (If you have a computer to use with it that is)

2) Have you had any problems with the operation of the unit. I know I can build the thing, but I can't say anything for the operation of something I've never used. :) How do you like it?

Oh' date=' it's even better than that!

The switchable narrow band output is user configurable for any AFR.

So if you aren't running a catalyst (on an early vehicle for instance) there is no need to stick with the catalyst-dictated 14.7 AFR, and you can configure something more along the lines of 15.8 and REALLY see an increase of gas mileage during cruise!

Cooooool![/quote']

Ok now this is just cool. :shock: 8) I have a Holley Commander 950 with a narrow band heated sensor now. It sounds like this would be a perfect mate for my current computer.

Guest Peyman88zxt

It took about 7-8 hours of soldering and making the cables. A few more hours cause I messed up and had to troubleshoot it.

I believe the current data logging software available which is available on their site plus a host of other usefull info http://wbo2.com , allows for saving rpms,a/f ratio plus two other voltage inputs. The saved file will be in ascii format and easily imported to excel for reproducing the logger graphs.

The price I listed is with the sensor included. The sensor only costs about $28 as its a common VW part.[/url]

Guest Peyman88zxt
Innovative also got a WB o2 kit for $350. It's got datalogger feature too.

The innovative one doesn't have the remote display and if you want the data logging functions native to the techedge unit you have to pay for the upgraded cable which will make the final cost about $450. But then again you won't have to deal with soldering.

The price I listed is with the sensor included. The sensor only costs about $28 as its a common VW part.

Is the Bosch LSU4 sensor a wideband sensor?

If so, in what models can you find one?

It's just that the price seems to good to be true, or have I missed something?

yup, the LSU 4 is a WBO2 sensor.

Like most electronics, the prices fall as technology advances and new parts are made.

Megasquirt Inventors Bowling and Grippo are currently testing the LSU 4 against some pretty stiff competition to see what kind of tracking and response they get when they incorporate WBO2 into the UMS project.