HybridZ

Fairlady 5 Speed

Sven

FS?71-something-

I had one in my 260 that I yanked from a FairladyZ (junkyard would not sell me the car). My research I did then convinced me it was the same as the Nismo/Datsun Comp close ratio 5 speed. What are these worth? I can probably track my car down and buy it back for minimal $. It needs synchros, but I loved the .8 5th gear and gear spacing. Are trans shops able to get parts for these? It would be a shame for it to end up in another junkyard. Call me a Zeemanitarian, but I'd rather not see it go to waste.

Older Porsche 911 synchros from the "915" transaxle IIRC are EXACTLY the same size. You can get them from Porsche ($$$), but there are lots of aftermarket suppliers too. http://www.gprparts.com used to carry them, I'm sure they still do. The 1st thru 4th gear synchros are the same, those I've measured myself. I don't remember specifically measuring the 5th gear synchro ring, but I'd bet it is the same as the Porsche 5th gear synchro too. If you aren't familiar, find a good Porsche shop in your area. The synchros are a PITA to get on and off, there is one huge snap ring on each synchro holding it on. Porsche mechanics usually have a special tool, or a gigantic set of snap ring pliers to get them off. Take the trans to them and they'll probably be really surprised when they open it up.

Nissan doesn't sell just the synchro rings, which tend to break if abused. They only sell the gear cluster with the ring, and they are several hundred dollars IIRC.

One last thing. Run SWEPCO in that transmission. That's what all the 911 guys run, and they've been dealing with steel synchros for decades. GPR has SWEPCO or you can buy it direct from the manufacturer, http://www.swepco.com I think...

EDIT--Bearings are the same as a normal 5 speed

Jon