HybridZ

Slotted intake, Special washers, and the project from hell..

So Friday afternoon I started looking at my intake and I figured, yea I'll just cut off the bosses from the center holes and slot the two center holes... Using a short sawzal blade, I was able to almost get the holes completely flat... One of them was angled more than the other three, but Oh well, I was 3 out of 4... Anyway, I got everything done by Yesterday afternoon (Saturday) and while letting the paint on the intakle dry, I went ahead and moved about 8 TONS of brown riverstone gravel to the area behind my garage... For those who have been behid my garage to take a tinkle, you will be happy to know there is no longer a SWAMP back there (on my side of the fence anyway!) ... Nice DEEP and packed bed of riverrock from the foundation of the garage to the fence... So anyway, I assembled the motor yesterday, and I'm gonna need some of those offset washers... Anyone have a recommendation where I can get them?

Oh yea, I'm sitting there trying to drop the distributor in place and I look over on my table... Only to see the pump drive shaft laying on it! Now I've got to take the pan and pump back off... Glad I found it while the motor is on the stand! :D

Once I get the balancer issue resolved, I'll be pretty much done with the motor build itself and I can start testing it for header clearances.

Mike 8)

Mike,

If you were to add up all those tons of gravel, concrete, aggregate, dirt, and sand - how many tons would that be? Imagine, adding up the total weight of your garage project, then dividing by the total hp of all of your car projects - what would it do in the quarter mile? :-)

Michael, Just in gravel alone we have over 110 rons in the foundation and base for the pad, plus we added another 40 tons for driveway, parking, and now around behind the garage. Lots of gravel.... And I've moved a lot of it by hand...

Mike 8)

This baffled my dad and I for a while. He figured it out successfully. :)

1) We drilled the hole and verified that the bolt would line up properly to the heads

2) Use a cut-off wheel on a dremmel to partially flatten the upper surface (where the head of the bolt sits)

- With no bit attached, stick the nose of the dremmel through the bolt hole

- Attach the bit from above

- Lightly pull back keeping the cut-off wheel at the same angle that the head of the bolt will sit at to cut a small flat spot into the intake around the bolt hole

3) Only the inner part of bolt will actually sit flat like you want (cutting enough to make the entire circumference flat wasn't possible or necessary on my intake), but it's definately more than enough room to allow you to use regular washers.

I used regular washers and haven't had ANY problems with it going on 8000+ miles since my heads/cam install.