HybridZ

Anyone know of problems with pathfinders?

datsunlover

Well, I've been looking for a while to trade/sell my 93 King cab and get a 4x4 Pathfinder. (2 wheel drive is fun, but can SUCK in the winter here...) And I think I found a good deal. Here's the rundown on a 92 Pathfinder:

275 K, 3.0V6 runs awsome, 5 speed (that makes all kinds of noise because it needs a clutch/throwout bearing) overall decent looking truck. Rust on the rear of both rockers, and a bit on bottom of the tailgate. Brakes were done 8 months ago, along with the fuel/brake lines and tie-rod ends. Brand new starter and rad, decent tires all around.

The guy has just bought a newer Pathfinder, and just wants to off this one quick I guess... Cause the advert. said '$2000 Or best offer' but when I got there, he told me (before I even asked!) he was negotiable on the price. I'm thinking of offering him $1400 and doing the clutch myself seeing as it's only $260 for a new clutch kit! What do you guys think, should I be wary of anything about Pathfinders? Anything I sould look out for?

And before anyone says it, Im aware this is a year OLDER than my truck, and yes it has a few more K's on it, but I figure being 4X4, it will always have good resale value. And I will have the ability to carry more passengers, but still flip down the seats and haul.. 'stuf' you know? Anyway, feel free to throw out advice, comments, dissagreement, ect. :)

Hello:

I've got a 1991 pathfinder with 180,000 miles that I've had for about 7 years now. In general, it has been a great vehicle.

Things to consider:

1. Timing belt. It is an interference V6, so if the belt goes, the engine is shot. Dealer recommends a new one every 60k miles.

2. As blueovalz pointed out, the exhaust manifold studs tend to rust then snap. It was a warranty issue if you caught it in time (I had over 150k miles, so nissan would not help out when mine broke).

3. Cargo space. Even with the seats down the back is rather short (approximately 5.5 ft long flat space in the back and the space is constrained laterally by the wheel wells). This is an area where a truck is a lot better than the pathfinder.

4. Price. $2,000 seems high for a truck with rust and that many miles. I think blue book on mine (no rust and 180k) is 2500 to 3000. If you get closer to $1000 you might be in the 'good deal' category (depending on what goes wrong next).

HTH