HybridZ

help storing chrome

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I have some chrome parts (mostly from my pickup truck) that are starting to rust in a few spots around the edges and need to be cleaned up and re-chromed or something.

I dont have the money to get all of the parts re-chromed right now, so I want to put the parts into my storage until I can arrange to have them refurbished(?). What is the best way to store the chrome to keep it from rusting and getting worse? I was thinking of naval jelly and then cleaning with water, then rubbing alcohol to dry, and then wrapping the parts in heavy duty plastic-wrap to seal out the elements.

Check with hardware store or pharmacy and get some desiccant - like those little packets you see in pill bottles. Ensure your parts are dry and seal them in plastic along with the desiccant. You need to wrap them in several layers because most plastics are not totally impervious to air/moisture migration - think about how food wrapped in plastic or in tupperware will still eventually get freezer burn. The desiccant is very important to nsure the preservation of the parts. Oil soaked paper would be another option - with desiccant inside.