HybridZ

700R4 in a '73 240Z with a 406 SBC?

Guest Blazer406

Guest Blazer406

Has anyone on the board run a 700R4 in an early Z with a decent HP engine? I am running one in my nearly 4000# S10 with a a 375-400 HP 350. It seems to do decent.... was just wondering if it would fit in a Z and if it would survive. I am thinking about 450 hp in street trim...... maybe then add a shot of gas.....

Guest qwikrex

I'm still a newbie here, but, from what I've learned, the 700r4 is the prefered transmission (if your going auto) because of the overdrive. Otherwise RPM's get a bit unmanagable at freeway speeds. Ohh yeah and, it should fit fine. :)

And your 406 should also be no problem, as long as it has standard 350 motor mounts on the outside. :)

I am currently running a sbc 383 stroker in my 1971 240Z with a well built 700r4. I also am running a 26-2800 stall torque converter.

Car weighs 2770 with me in it and ran 11.60's for the 1/4 mile.

Yes the tranny fits but a little tight. No biggy. Make sure and run a 1988 or later 700r4 as they are stronger. Mine was rebuilt with corvette type servo and stage 9 clutch packs. Also run a seperate trans cooler, it's well worth the extra 75 bucks!!

Mike

I'm running a Bowtie Overdrive Level 2 700R4 with a 2400 RPM Stall speed convertor in a ZX with 430 H.P. and love it... Shifts decent during normal driving and shifts firm/great when you mash the motor... They can set it up about any way you want it....